It is here! First Impressions HCH MT:

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The other thing that I don't like about the HCH is the MPG display. The Vette has an entire row of buttons that allow it to display a variety of different information including average MPG per trip down to tenths, instant mileage down to tenths and tire pressure. The HCH is lacking in this department and that is the biggest disapointment because hybrids are suppose to be mileage kings. The HCH's display only has one button and the same button is used to move between displays and to reset, depending on how long the button is pushed. The Civic's display does show trip mileage down to tenths but it does not update often and it does not seem to ever jump in tenths. It seems to always jump several tenths at a time. The instant MPG display is the most disappointing feature. The Vett's realtime display is very helpful in fine tuning for maxium mileage. All the HCH has for a real time display is a small bar graph with 5 MPG increments.
Give it a few days or weeks, you'll like it more. You'll learn when to coast and when to set the cruise and how to use the "real-time" mileage meter to your advantage.

And I agree that the "multiple tenths jumps" of the FCD is ripe for revision - showing the single tenths would help us more to know if it was fixing to jump DOWN or fixing to jump UP, but if you learn to use the real-time meter you can get to where you understand that it is going to drop or increase next time.
Hang in thar !!!

Old 10-21-2004, 02:55 PM

Thanks lars-ss, I'll have to check that out next time.
I know what you mean about the insurance gamble...one thing that brings to mind is the available GAP insurance you can buy with a new car.
In that case with my last Grand Caravan it was a total loss and I was still 6 grand upside down in the loan. GAP paid the rest and got me out from under.

It's one of the few gambles I've won.
I'll have to check out TireXam.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Hot_Georgia_2004@Oct 21st 2004 @ 4:55 PM
Thanks lars-ss, I'll have to check that out next time.
I know what you mean about the insurance gamble...one thing that brings to mind is the available GAP insurance you can buy with a new car. In that case with my last Grand Caravan it was a total loss and I was still 6 grand upside down in the loan. GAP paid the rest and got me out from under. It's one of the few gambles I've won. I'll have to check out TireXam.
Ditto on the GAP - it's usually pretty darn cheap, and as your example shows, it DOES get used every now and then to save people from making payments on a car they no longer have.....

Old 10-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Named the car "Inverse Midlife Crisis" cause I went from a Vette to a HCH. First tank is posted and OMG!!!! 61 mpg calculated, 57.9 mpg displayed! These numbers a likely to be a little off because I over filled the tank when I got the car with 25 miles on the OD after mistaking the battery charge gauge for the fuel gauge. I can post a picture of the display if there are disbelievers. Can you / how do you post a pic on these boards?

Old 10-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Site Founder
Old 10-27-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by lakedude@Oct 27th 2004 @ 4:01 PM
Named the car "Inverse Midlife Crisis" cause I went from a Vette to a HCH. First tank is posted and OMG!!!! 61 mpg calculated, 57.9 mpg displayed! These numbers a likely to be a little off because I over filled the tank when I got the car with 25 miles on the OD after mistaking the battery charge gauge for the fuel gauge. I can post a picture of the display if there are disbelievers. Can you / how do you post a pic on these boards?
A sincere (yet jealousy-laced) Congrats LakeDude.....

I have yet to best 54 MPG in the first 7 tanks, so I envy your notable accomplishment.....Continued good luck !!!

Old 10-27-2004, 02:45 PM

WOW
Congradualations!
61 mpg calculated, 57.9 mpg displayed
Simply fantastic.
Just think of how often you'll be able to drive by the gas staion instead of stopping.

Yesterday I filled up both my vehicles:
Grand Caravan went ~260 miles on about 35 dollars worth of gas,
HCH went ~680 miles on about 20 dollars of fuel.

In my case I'm getting tired of feeding the Grand Caravan and wish I could get out from under the loan... and just get rid of it.

Be careful or you may soon wonder why you keep the Vette at all!

Old 10-27-2004, 06:25 PM

Hi Lakedude:

___Congratulations are definitely in order! I bet you break 70 when you finally get your HCH broken in. Keep us up to date and push your range so we all know what you are receiving with little to no errors. The FCD explains it all however …

___Take a pic and make sure it is less then 100 KB. Use the resize utility in whatever picture SW you have. A 3 MB pic can be brought down to < 100 KB with a 20% of original setting or thereabouts. After that, post it into the File Discussion area and upload it there. From that pic, you can link it back here using [img] code for all to see and enjoy a rather lengthy discussion about it!

___Good Luck and Congrats. I can’t wait to add your new HCH to the Hypermiler list in a month or so.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Site Founder

I may get rid of the file area and just allow attachments in the future...

Old 10-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Thanks everybody.

I couldn't get my digital camera to work from the usb port so I bought a 128m SD card just to post this:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hp?download=84

I've driven the car a bit since the mileage post and the mileage has actually gone up a bit!

Quick Reply: It is here! First Impressions HCH MT:

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands