Help! 05 civic hybrid shakes at low spead after auto stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Help! 05 civic hybrid shakes at low spead after auto stop

So I was hoping someone could help me with a problem that I am currently having with my car. It's a 2005 civic hybrid and i am the only owner the car has ever had. It has nearly 120,000 miles on it which i guess is a feat on it's own considering i've only had the car a little over four years.
anyway, I have been having this problem lately where when i am driving, if i am on auto stop the car is fine... once i step on the gas, though, the car trembles. it eventually goes away though. if it's trembling and i let go of the gas and start pressing it again the car is fine.
if i am on the freeway the car drives fine. no issue.
if i don't stop, it never trembles or shutters. lately i've been doing "california rolls" on stop signs to avoid the trembling as i feel like i am doing my car some damage. it isn't an uncontrolable tremble, but it has gotten worse over time.
i plan on taking it to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning but i was wondering if anyone had any clue on what might be the problem. i am worried that the dealer might also try to rip me off. last time i went in for an oil change i ended up leaving paying $600 in different things that they said i needed. sure breaks were included but i never really knew what else i was getting. showing me parts and telling me they're broken are kind of like telling a dog what a lamp is. it just doesn't register.
anyway, if anyone has any advice please let me know. i am not terribly excited about going back to the dealership downtown, either

Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help! 05 civic hybrid shakes at low spead after auto stop

May be time to clean and or replace the Exhaust Gas recirculate valve. Do a search on this as there are some how to do's. If your car has a CVT it may need attention?[oil change ] Hal

Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you have the bill from that last (expensive) visit? If so post some of the items on the bill, and you'll likely get explanation. Even some of the routine maintenance items can run the bill up.

FWIW, you owe it to yourself to get familiar with the car's workings. You don't have to be a mechanic. Just a modest improvement in your understanding of the rudimentary maintenance items and car components can help you from possibly wasting money and give you more peace of mind.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Think green.

What you describe reminds me of this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...one-out-20179/

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

Just had same experience and as I type the $1450 is being drained for a new catalytic convertor.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

dealer needs to burnish your starter clutch in your cvt
this should be under warranty if you received a letter about CVT judder in the mail from Honda. I got mine fixed just a couple months ago.