HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

rough take-off after auto stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default rough take-off after auto stop

My car occasionally kind of pops into gear after a complete auto stop (07 civic)
it seems a little rough to me - it is usually when it is colder. Is this happening to anyone else?

Thanks

Old 11-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: rough take-off after auto stop

Could you elaborate?

In my experience with several hybrids (expecially the Toyota Camry) take-offs can be a little rough if we go for the gas pedal too fast or too agressive.

I usually give the powertrain the time it needs to resynch smoothly after letting the brake go. In cold weather it also means that the once "insignificant" delay is now more pronounced and it is wise to observe it.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

You need to 'pause' for about a second after taking your foot off the brake to let the engine restart and engage the transmission.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

The jolt forward occurs when I take my foot off of the brake. I usually try to wait a bit to let the engine fully shut off before lifting my foot off of the brake, then it may or may not jump before the re-start occurs. I know that I am in a break-in period(500mi), so I am trying to take it easy with the car - I was just wondering if I should take this up with the dealership or if I should learn to deal with it.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't noticed any significant stutters, assuming again, as ppgroup recommends, that you take your time and don't punch the gas immediately.

Not to digress too much, but what gets me worried is during moderate to heavy breaking, when the car gets into the 10 mph zone, and goes from cylinders-deactivated back to actice idling (I think), briefly just before the autostop kicks in at 7mph. I can be breaking smoothly, and suddenly at 10mph, my little lovely suddenly kicks forward a bit and I have a momentary fear that the brakes are faulty. ANybody else notice this? And why does the engine have to kick back on at <10mph? Makes for a real pain in 5-10mph stop-start traffic.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

i dont think the engine is kicking on, i think the regen is shutting down, you are losing the drag from the motor generating power. so it would make it feel as though your losing breaking power.

just a guess. if the fuel is actually turning back on that is just silly .

Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by bogeigley
The jolt forward occurs when I take my foot off of the brake. I usually try to wait a bit to let the engine fully shut off before lifting my foot off of the brake, then it may or may not jump before the re-start occurs. I know that I am in a break-in period(500mi), so I am trying to take it easy with the car - I was just wondering if I should take this up with the dealership or if I should learn to deal with it.
At this stage I would try to manage the "jolt". If it becomes too laborious a task then definitely communicate the issue to the dealership. Have them inspect the vehicle and have them pass a veridict on it.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogarm
suddenly at 10mph, my little lovely suddenly kicks forward a bit and I have a momentary fear that the brakes are faulty. ANybody else notice this? And why does the engine have to kick back on at <10mph? Makes for a real pain in 5-10mph stop-start traffic.
I'd agree with Twuelfing here... my experience is that it's the regen shutting off. Note that the green bars shut off at the same time as the "forward kick".

Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've experienced this too and it is like Anahymbrid said, the regen is shutting down. It's usually more noticeable when you've been gently decelerating than with more normal braking. I've come to expect it so it doesn't bother me such that I plan on giving myself a lil more room right at the end so I don't have to press any harder on the brake than I already was and stop where I expect to.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Originally Posted by dogarm
I haven't noticed any significant stutters, assuming again, as ppgroup recommends, that you take your time and don't punch the gas immediately.

Not to digress too much, but what gets me worried is during moderate to heavy breaking, when the car gets into the 10 mph zone, and goes from cylinders-deactivated back to actice idling (I think), briefly just before the autostop kicks in at 7mph. I can be breaking smoothly, and suddenly at 10mph, my little lovely suddenly kicks forward a bit and I have a momentary fear that the brakes are faulty. ANybody else notice this? And why does the engine have to kick back on at <10mph? Makes for a real pain in 5-10mph stop-start traffic.
I have experienced that as well- glad to hear it has to do with the cylinders changing mode. I was worried myself (although I was more annoyed).