Heater seems like it is on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Heater seems like it is on...

After hitting the 'off' button numerous time this morning to ensure that it was supposed to be 'off' I started my drive to work. The only light on on the climate control system was the green light indicating that outside air was coming in.

After 15-20 minutes the interior of the car had warmed up to ~70 degrees from the ~50 when I got in. Why does the car do this? what setting do I need to change so it just brings in fresh outside air without heating it?

There was no fan noise, and I had turned the fan all the way down when turning the sytem off.

A couple of days ago i had set the auto climate control to 75, does the CC system look at that setting and try to bring the car up to that temp even if the CC system is 'Off'?

Thanks,
Bowdirk

Old 03-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Heater seems like it is on...

Do you have a temperature set on the automatic climate control? There is a little screen which shows the temperature. Do you have that and what does it say?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Enthusiastically Active

The human body gives off a surprising amount of heat. You may have been heating the car up yourself.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

I read in a previous post that if the temp is set to High before you turn off the climate control, air still gets pulled without climate control on.
This is how I set mine and it can get really toasty...with warm weather coming just turn the CC on , set the temp lower, then turn it off.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

I did set the temperature on the climate control system to 75 a few days ago. But the dispay was blank this morning because the system was 'off'.

However it seems that it is still using that setting to heat up the incoming air even without the fan on.

My understanding is that if the green light is on, but the system is off, it should just circulate fresh air from the outside without either heating or cooling it, but that doesn't seem to be how it works.

I may be a 'bit' hot-headed, but i wasn't giving off that much heat this morning :-)

Bowdirk

Old 03-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Maybe it's being warmed by the engine. I am not sure where the intake vent is relative to the engine. You would not think it would be set up in such a way that you wouldn't get the unmolested but you never know.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

The 05 basically does this in off position, so probably same for 06, but with digital readout. You need to set the temp to less than 70 and see how that goes, if not confortable lower it some more and turn back off. I think the only thing that acutally turns off in off position is the fan and compressor. System still tries to regulate temp with freeflow air. I dont think Honda has it all together with the auto temp mode operation. It is easy to work with on 05 due to **** there showing setting. Will have to check it out an 06 next time I do a dealer transfer on one.
Rob

Originally Posted by BowDirk
I did set the temperature on the climate control system to 75 a few days ago. But the dispay was blank this morning because the system was 'off'.

However it seems that it is still using that setting to heat up the incoming air even without the fan on.

My understanding is that if the green light is on, but the system is off, it should just circulate fresh air from the outside without either heating or cooling it, but that doesn't seem to be how it works.

I may be a 'bit' hot-headed, but i wasn't giving off that much heat this morning :-)

Bowdirk

Old 04-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

Previous cars I've owned did the same thing. If I would put the temp dial/**** anywhere in the red, warm/hot air would be pulled in, even with the climate control off.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I do this all the time. I set it to the temp I want, (usually around 70), and leave it off with the fresh air (green button) on, and it will automatically pump air in at that temp. When you turn on the fan, it just comes out faster, thats the only difference. So, you can either turn the system on, LOWER the temp, and then turn the system off. OR, you can just hit the RECIRCULATE button, and that should minimize the change in temps because to recirculate effectively, you would need the the fan on to suck in the air from the cabin and push it back in.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks all,

That seems to be how it is working.

One persons 'feature' is anothers 'bug'.

Bowdirk