Heated Seats and iPod Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Heated Seats and iPod Install

A couple of weeks ago I found the time to install 2 items that would require some major time. Having installed heated seats in our Honda Element, I was still a little apprehensive about diving into our Hybrid seating, especially with the passenger occupancy sensor.

Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Pulling research on trim removal from various sites, and schematics from Majestic Honda, I only broke 2 small snap connectors on the outer trim, easily replaced at $1.39 each.

The iPod interface installation was a piece of cake.

Here's where the interface is located and the switches for the heated seats:

I really couldn't find much information on heated seats other than one poster's experience with a professional installation. I get the feeling that people who purchase hybrids are somewhat tentative on modding them out. Conversely, the folks who own Elements tear them down and put them back together again before breakfast.

I really like the position of the switches. That turned out really well, and there is plenty of room under the trim for the switch assembly.

Mike

Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Heated Seats and iPod Install

Nice work!
Where'd you get the heated-seat kit?

Would it work for my HCH-II?

Old 05-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Steve,
I don't think you'd have a problem. I purchased my kits on eBay from Heatedseatkits.com.

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heatedseatkits/index.html

I went with the Innovative Heat II in both the Civic and the Element. It's a nice kit with pretty much everything you'd need. They are listed at $80 for each seat, but they sell on eBay for $75 regularly with free shipping always. You will need to purchase an "add a circuit" adapter for power for about $4. You will have to find a circuit that is energized when the key is turned on, and shut off when the key is in the off position.

If there is enough interest, I will write up a step by step installation guide.

Will it fit your HCH II? Probably. There are some vehicles that now come with glued seat covers. The Honda Fit is one of them. (The image below is copyrighted from Heatedseatkit.com)

If you do this yourself, it will take about 6 - 8 hours to install both front passenger seats. For $100 more I would seriously recommend installing an iPod interface, if your vehicle doesn't have one. You might as well kill 2 birds with one installation since things will be torn up.

Once you have heated seats, you'll never go back. My wife loves these things. These kits heat up fast and are very reliable.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Old 05-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Energy Independence

Thanks Mike.

I've bookmarked that site. One of these days... Maybe before winter.

I see that the site has a generic install guide, as well.

Also, the HCH2 has an audio mini-jack for the iPod (or whatever). Not the same as a controller, but it gets the tunes cranking through the car's stereo at least. It's enough for me at the moment, since I also have the NAV (and its PCMCIA slot ).

Old 05-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by Wangofree
Once you have heated seats, you'll never go back.
Here in Florida, what I really need is ventilated seats.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Here in Florida, what I really need is ventilated seats.
I could use those for the hot Texas summers as well! It gets over 100 degrees here, and stays that way for a month (or three).

Old 05-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Audi, BMW, Buick, Infiniti and Lexus all have lineups that offer both heated and cooled seats.

Probably a little more pricey than the Honda lineup.