Anyone get aftermarket heated seats? Is this an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone get aftermarket heated seats? Is this an issue?

Yes, we have become spoiled. We love our heated seats and I know of a place that will install them (for about $400, I think). They do not have experience with hybrids and I am writing to find out if there are any ISSUES to know about installing aftermarket, battery-connected items.

I think there is a normal car battery up front that they could connect to. Anyone know of any issues?

Thanks, noflash

Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Anyone get aftermarket heated seats? Is this an issue?

Originally Posted by noflash
Yes, we have become spoiled. We love our heated seats and I know of a place that will install them (for about $400, I think). They do not have experience with hybrids and I am writing to find out if there are any ISSUES to know about installing aftermarket, battery-connected items.

I think there is a normal car battery up front that they could connect to. Anyone know of any issues?

Thanks, noflash
Good question.

At first I would say, that there's no easy way to tap the existing power delivery harnesses on the Civic Hybrid needed to drive the heating elements. I believe that would have to be implemented with dedicated harnesses (likely an Acura CSX or aftermarket setup) and then there's the battery issue. From what I can see, the battery on our 06HCH's may not be able to sustain the additional power drain over reasonable periods of time. This would likely require that the battery be upgraded and the charging mechanism revised for proper & safe operation.

I think the setup would have to look remarkably similar to the Canadian Acura CSX with leather seats.

http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/CSX/Specifications

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM

Hmmm... Well, my understanding is that there is a normal car battery under the hood separate from the battery that drives the electric motor. There are 2 (I think) accessory 12-volt attachements that you could attach an external heated seat pad to: eg http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/carseatheatm.html . So what difference does it make if it's internal or external if it's drawing 12 volts from the common car battery?

Of course the dealer won't advise and I'm not sure I'd trust the shops opinion. Next I will call Honda Customer Service.

Thanks for the reply. I just don't understand it I guess.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:43 AM

After further research here, it appears Manchild (near Seattle) has heated seats that were a dealer add-on through an aftermarket seat upholsterer. He seems to not have had any issues, but he hasn't posted since March.

My upholsterer seems to think it'd be fine, but I should research it more to put myself at ease.

Here's one of Manchild's posts:
Originally Posted by manchild
Hello Everyone, I just got myself a Magnetic Pearl Hybrid with custom leather seats and heated seats

I like it very much and I'm getting a little over 40 mpg at the moment. I'm not sure if this normal as I see some people actually getting closer to 47 mpg according to the posts. I am getting bit over 40 mpg while I am actually trying to get good mileage (ie, in downhills, I try to coast as much as possible).

Manchild

Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/carseatheatm.html . So what difference does it make if it's internal or external if it's drawing 12 volts from the common car battery?
It all depends on the power rating for the heating elements. The Acura CSX I mentioned had its wiring designed to accommodate the heated seats as an option. In doing so they also have a higher capacity battery and alternator (The Acura CSX is essentially a 2006 Civic with luxury and engine trimmings).

Now, will the heated seats trip the fuses when used in conjuction with additional equipment you may plug into any (of both) of the power outlets? I hope not. I don't really know unless I have an idea of power numbers.

Of course the dealer won't advise and I'm not sure I'd trust the shops opinion. Next I will call Honda Customer Service.

Thanks for the reply. I just don't understand it I guess.
I would say that if you go ahead with it, to make sure you get a good warranty from the shop and have the work subsequently safetied by a qualified Honda shop/mechanic.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Another option to consider would be a heated seat cover. Someone found one that uses a peltier effect thermoelectric device to heat or cool water that flows through it. Odds are it wouldn't be as toasty as a full blown heating element but also wouldn't draw much power at all. I think they were ~$120 a piece.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the advice all. I continue to research.