HCHs boosting each other - doesn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default HCHs boosting each other - doesn't work?

This is an odd story of mine.

I left my 2004 HCH-I in the garage for two weeks without driving it, and when I tried to start it afterwards, it wouldn't start. The LED dashboard lights would come on and flicker when I turned the key, but the engine would not start. Fan would blow and radio would work, but not the engine.

I tried boosting my 2004 HCH-I with my mother's 2006 HCH-II and booster cables, but to no avail. I followed the instructions in both manuals to the letter and ran the 2006 HCH-II for 1 minute before trying to start the HCH-I (tried again at 2 and 3 minutes -no luck). Finally I had to call AAA, and they helped me boost the 2004 HCH with a portable battery pack.

The AAA guy said that hybrids are special and can't boost each other. Anybody know why this is? Or is it something I neglected to do properly?

Also, afterwards, my 2004 HCH did a battery recal (started from empty battery and after driving for 5 minutes, recharged quickly), and I haven't had any problems since.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHs boosting each other - doesn't work?

I haven't heard of this, but it may be true. Hybrids do not have alternators that charge the 12v battery from the engine. That may explain why your HCH couldn't boost the other car, but I have used my car to boost a non-hybrid car and it worked fine. I can't think of an explanation of why hybrids wouldn't be able to boost each other.

Every time you disconnect your battery, or your battery dies, your IMA battery will do a recal.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

This made me raise an eyebrow... Regardless of where the battery under the hood gets its power, 12v is 12v. So as long as everything in the boosting car is in order, it should jump it. Infact I had to use my '04 to jump my cousin's lexus last week. it could be a matter of the available cranking amps from the boosting car.

A few years ago i had the battery die in my '91 Miata. We tried to jump it from another gas car, but it would not turn over. I also had to call AAA and was able to jump it with their 'jump box'.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

After not driving it for several months, I had to boost a 2002 Dodge Ram with the HCHII, the lights wouldn't even turn on. I didn't have any problems. Like MiaTurbo says, 12V is 12V, and I'm pretty sure a Ram needs more cranking power than an HCH does.

There could have been a loose connection or poor contact on the booster cable connections. Did the AAA guy clean, tighten, remove, or replace the connections on the battery?

Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM

The AAA guy used his own battery.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

so you guys are saying that I can get a boost from another hybrid but I could from a regular non-hybrid vehicle?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by GotIng
so you guys are saying that I can get a boost from another hybrid but I could from a regular non-hybrid vehicle?
No. The AAA guy is saying that. We are trying to figure out if it is true. I do not think it is, but have never tried it.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. The AAA guy didn't clean any connections or anything - he just came with his box hooked it up for about 3 seconds and then my 04 HCH started.

I guess it could be that my battery was just too depleted for a jump-start to work, or I didn't have a solid connection through the jumper cables.

Anyway, I hope that doesn't happen to me again.

I will be leaving for six months starting in March to study overseas - should I disconnect my car battery or do any work beforehand?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
I will be leaving for six months starting in March to study overseas - should I disconnect my car battery or do any work beforehand?
Your car's alarm system, clock, and other devices draw power when the car is parked. After a few months your battery will be low or dead. I'd suggest you buy a small trickle charger and leave it plugged in (as long as you have access to AC current from where you park your car). It'll keep the battery topped up while you're away.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 PM

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...e-please-7124/

That should help answer some questions. Many people have different views on what you should do.
For six months, I would reccomend having someone take it for a spin every 3-4 weeks, but I'm no mechanic.

Quick Reply: HCHs boosting each other - doesn't work?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands