HCH Hybrid Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH Hybrid Pricing

So I got an OTD quote today at 24,385 for a Civic '07 Hybrid with Navigation and "protection package"

The base price of the car wasn't bad at around $22,183 RED TAG Special and I offered $21,500 thinking that's fair.

A few things:

1) While test driving the car, the dealer replied every question I had with "I'll have to check" or "I'm not sure"

2) They told me the "Protection Package" is valued at $600.

3) No cup holders on the back.

4) They did not budge from the base price of $22,183 and tried to hide behind the "protection package" when I told them that the base is a bit higher than what people have been getting.

Anyway, when I said that the $24,385 OTD price was higher than I expected, the dealer freaked out and said "Do you want us to lose more money than we already are selling the car at this price. We need to eat too."

So needless to say, we walked out.

The navigation system is boot compared to the Prius navigation system, but the one thing the Civic has over the Prius is the interior and the driving comfort.

So once again, I had a quote at $24,3185 and a dealer freakout. Nice first time experience for me at a Honda dealership. I hope I have better experiences down the road.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mets3145
So I got an OTD quote today at 24,385 for a Civic '07 Hybrid with Navigation and "protection package"

The base price of the car wasn't bad at around $22,183 RED TAG Special and I offered $21,500 thinking that's fair.

A few things:

1) While test driving the car, the dealer replied every question I had with "I'll have to check" or "I'm not sure"

2) They told me the "Protection Package" is valued at $600.

3) No cup holders on the back.
4) They did not budge from the base price of $22,183 and tried to hide behind the "protection package" when I told them that the base is a bit higher than what people have been getting.

Anyway, when I said that the $24,385 OTD price was higher than I expected, the dealer freaked out and said "Do you want us to lose more money than we already are selling the car at this price. We need to eat too."

So needless to say, we walked out.

The navigation system is boot compared to the Prius navigation system, but the one thing the Civic has over the Prius is the interior and the driving comfort.

So once again, I had a quote at $24,3185 and a dealer freakout. Nice first time experience for me at a Honda dealership. I hope I have better experiences down the road.

$24,500.00 is roughly the MSRP on this car's sticker.

Don't purchase any extended warranty packages with this car. It is a waste of money and if you are financing it, you are going to be paying for it + interest. I did buy the GAP insurance because I was trading in negative equity from my old car. That way if someone were to total my car, I could walk away with out owing Honda any more money

I went to four dealers in my area. I started talking to them over the phone. The first dealer basically told me they do not give pricing over the phone and they will beat any offer if I come in to their showroom with written offers. (Needless to say I told them they are off my list)

Second dealer was the one I choose which did give me a price over the phone was very professional and promptly provided pricing and availability.

Third dealer I went to I visited the showroom and they kept trying to get me into an Accord or another SUV (Pilot or CRV). I walked out when they took over 30 minutes to inspect my trade in and could not provide a quicker turn around.

The fourth dealer was also a walk in and the sales person was very unwilling to answer questions and lazy trying hard not to make the sale. I walked out of that dealer too. (Funny thing was on that week after I got my Civic from the second dealer, this dealer called to see how my salesperson was and if I was ready to buy their car and I told them that I purchased my car from another dealer that was willing to sell the car to me. I informed them that their salesperson was very unprofessional and discourtesy and that I would never consider their dealership for my next car. )

Press hard, I do not know how many dealers you have in your area but definitely shop around. You can get the '07 for about 20,000.00-21,000.00. Just a note, dealers do not buy their cars upfront with cash. All of their cars are financed through the manufacture at a low interest rate. The longer a car stays on their lot the more they are losing on the sale. You cannot use tactics like, people on GreenHybrid.com are paying 20k because each deal is different. You need to have them give you something in writing and then shop around. Also be very flexible about color and options. Fortunately options on the Hybrid are few. In fact there are only two options, With or Without Navigation.

Once you get a good deal on "a" Hybrid then if they have a color you like more than another, then tell them you want that color. Again, you need to be very flexible about the options and colors to get the best deal.

As far as the Prius, I do not know how dealers are working that one. Though this is the time to buy Hybrids of this caliber because winter is coming up.

Good luck

Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM

One other note. I don't like non-premium cars dealers. I have always purchased Acuras and one Mercedes and I did not feel pressured in to buying their cars. They are very professional and seem to know about the car they are selling (one caveat was the MB dealer was not professional or knowledgeable).

I have come to notice whenever I visit a Toyota, Honda, Mazda, VW, type dealer, they hang out at the windows staring at victims as they drive up or look around. When you ask them a question about the car they do not know the answer and then is followed up with "are you ready to buy?"....

Acura, Jaguar, Audi, BMW, MB, have all been knowledgeable about the car and then politely inform you that whenever you are ready you can call them prior to stopping by so they could ready your car or stop by and they will do what needs to be done to make you happy.

But then, that's why we have Walmarts and Macy stores in the US. Choices galore!!

Hopefully you find what you are looking for.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. The good thing is that I have a solid price now, even though it is a ridiculous one.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

I paid 21.5K w/o navi back in April (+tag/tax/gap). I've heard people getting the 07 HCH for about 19.5K w/o navi if you can still find them on the lot. You really have to weigh the navi price difference ($1,500-$2,000). I paid $200 for my Garmin StreetPilot 2610 with touchscreen, remote, and 2008 maps. I paid another $20 for a gooseneck mount that clamps to the passenger chair. I kept the other $1,800 in my pocket! I know the 2610 is an older model, but I really like the Garmin StreetPilot line. Also, annual updates are only $100 rather than the couple hundred for the update DVD for the built-in navi. Since the HCH has the mp3 jack, I just plug in my Creative Zen V. The CompactFlash card reader behind the navi screen would be nice for mp3's, but it still wasn't worth the extra $.

I can say you will enjoy the HCH. I'm just over 10K miles and have loved the car since day 1!

Last edited by AJR; 10-28-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 AM

I didn't realize who good of a deal I got until I started seeing pricing listed here. I might have been able to get 18,500 if I went with a non Navi edition. I own a Tomtom which has been very reliable to me and offers BT handsfree.