Is The HCH Considered An Electric Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Is The HCH Considered An Electric Vehicle

Many stores and shopping centers have a few designated parking areas labeled "Electric Vehicles Only" They still have the electrical outlets there for recharging but the vehicles that used those are no longer on the road and no one really uses these parking spaces. Does anyone know if the HCH is considered an electric vehicle thus making it safe to park in these areas? I feel that technically we should be eligible since our vehicles are gas and electric.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Default Re: Is The HCH Considered An Electric Vehicle

No it isn't. I expect those spots were reserved for electric vehicles that needed to charge up. Probably just a waste of space right now.

I doubt anyone would care if you parked there, but I think the intent was to have spaces for people to be able to plug in.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
World's First Hybrid

Just for yuks and giggles, make a fake cord with plastic tines so it looks like you plugged your car in......

Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Just for yuks and giggles, make a fake cord with plastic tines so it looks like you plugged your car in......
Or you could plug in one end of an extention cord, place the other end somewhere in your engine compartment and just slam the hood!

Old 12-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

No it is not an electric vehicle. While it is true that many of the OEM produced EV's have been reclaimed and destroyed (noteably the GM EV1) there are still some out there that do use the charging stations.

If you can not plug in please do not block those parking spaces in case someone who could actually plug in goes there and needs to recharge. If you do block these spaces depending on where you car you are most likely subject to a toe and impoundment with possible fines. Furthermore if you do block an EV charging space you could potentially leave an EV driver stranded if they were depending on the charging being at their destination. I drive an electric myself and I as much as I hate having to do it I've had to have vehicles towed out of EV charging spaces before. Here it also carries a fine of at least $350 too!

Old 12-17-2006, 07:48 PM
light green

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Better yet...if you have a block heater installed, you could plug it in!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow, where are you? 'Many' stores and shopping centers have spaces like that? I used to live in Northern California and I don't remember ever seeing them, even there. Maybe it's a SoCal thing? Or more recent than my college days? Or there's some other enclave of electric vehicles in some hidden nook of the country? Because I find that a rather incredible assertion. Not that I doubt your word, it's just astonishing.