OMG, finally got my license plate but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy OMG, finally got my license plate but...

But... my license plate number is different from my registration!!!!!!!!

I was so happy to get my license plate this early especially I bought my car right before Thanksgiving. I was impressed with DMV's efficiency... However, I had this chill when I opened up the envelope; I noticed on the front of the envelope:

Remove certificate from this pocket. Check the number on the certificate with the plate. If they do not match, contact the department of motor vehicles.

I was like... OK... I can't be that bad luck... Saw my plate, xxxxxxx, and saw my registration, xxxxxxy. Huh? the last number on my license plate is different from my registration by one!!!! They must have inserted into the wrong envelope. OMG!!! WHY ME??? WHY NOW? WHY ON THIS CAR????

I am waiting for my plate number to apply for the HOV sticker, and this totally upset me. I am so worried that the additional 10,000 stickers is gonna be used up because everyone's gonna get a hybrid during this holiday shopping season!!!

Has this happend to anyone? What's the procedure like to correct this? I researched on google but couldn't find any related information. I am calling DMV tomorrow for more information. Hopefully my calls can go through DMV

Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OMG, finally got my license plate but...

hehe the HOV is going to be one massive parking lot.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moto
But... my license plate number is different from my registration!!!!!!!!

I was so happy to get my license plate this early especially I bought my car right before Thanksgiving. I was impressed with DMV's efficiency... However, I had this chill when I opened up the envelope; I noticed on the front of the envelope:

Remove certificate from this pocket. Check the number on the certificate with the plate. If they do not match, contact the department of motor vehicles.

I was like... OK... I can't be that bad luck... Saw my plate, xxxxxxx, and saw my registration, xxxxxxy. Huh? the last number on my license plate is different from my registration by one!!!! They must have inserted into the wrong envelope. OMG!!! WHY ME??? WHY NOW? WHY ON THIS CAR????

I am waiting for my plate number to apply for the HOV sticker, and this totally upset me. I am so worried that the additional 10,000 stickers is gonna be used up because everyone's gonna get a hybrid during this holiday shopping season!!!

Has this happend to anyone? What's the procedure like to correct this? I researched on google but couldn't find any related information. I am calling DMV tomorrow for more information. Hopefully my calls can go through DMV
Call or go to DMV.
Find out what is your correct license plate #, whether it be the plates you got or the registration card.
Put that correct plate # on clean air sticker application and your all set.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: OMG, finally got my license plate but...

Called both DMV 800 Number and the HOV sticker Special Processing Unit 916 area code number. I was suggested to go to DMV and surrender my plate and get a replacement, and I was also told that right now only about 3,300 HOV stickers availabile for Jan 2nd, 2007!!!

I was amazed how amazing technology has brought efficiency to DMV. Checked a few DMV around my neighborhood and went to the one that has the shortest wait-time. Got my replacement plate and mailed in my application for sticker the same day via USPS Express Mail (FedEx and UPS won't deliver to P.O. Box). I am going to contact Special Processing Unit next Wednesday if by that time my check has not been cashed out.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow, that's darn efficient for an experience with the DMV. Good for you!