Has anyone in CA considered purchasing their HCH in Oregon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Has anyone in CA considered purchasing their HCH in Oregon?

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14

People who work in Portland or elsewhere in northern Oregon can save a bundle on taxes -- if they're smart, that is. They can live across the border in Washington (no income tax) and shop in Oregon (no sales tax). As this article notes, taxes can make a big difference to your financial health.
I think you're missing one important point. If you work in Oregon you'll pay income tax in Oregon, no matter where you live. The article you linked was about a person who could move his place of business to Washington along with his residence. If you work in Washington and live in Oregon you'll also pay income tax in Oregon. It's not so easy to avoid taxes.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
I think you're missing one important point. If you work in Oregon you'll pay income tax in Oregon, no matter where you live.
Maybe not. Assuming Oregon has a tax-withholding scheme, just claim enough exemptions to eliminate the withholding.

As a rule, taxes are dependent on where you reside. There are a lot of people from NY, Mass., Maine or some other Yankee tax hell who spend just enough time down here each year to establish residency and avoid their home state's taxes.

When I was in the military I never paid a cent of state income tax regardless of where I was stationed. I just kept Texas as my state of residence. (I also kept my Texas license plates and voted absentee in Texas elections.) One guy I worked with often complained about the vast sums extorted from his pay in the form of Maine income tax. I suggested he go to the appropriate base office and declare himself a Texan, Alaskan or some other no-tax resident. Don't know if he ever took that advice.

"Yankee" -- Northerner who comes down here for awhile
"****yankee" -- Northerner who comes down here and never leaves

Old 01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
Maybe not. Assuming Oregon has a tax-withholding scheme, just claim enough exemptions to eliminate the withholding.

As a rule, taxes are dependent on where you reside. There are a lot of people from NY, Mass., Maine or some other Yankee tax hell who spend just enough time down here each year to establish residency and avoid their home state's taxes.

When I was in the military I never paid a cent of state income tax regardless of where I was stationed. I just kept Texas as my state of residence. (I also kept my Texas license plates and voted absentee in Texas elections.) One guy I worked with often complained about the vast sums extorted from his pay in the form of Maine income tax. I suggested he go to the appropriate base office and declare himself a Texan, Alaskan or some other no-tax resident. Don't know if he ever took that advice.
Yeah, you can do that in the military. Enlisted people have some privileges. If you hold a regular job in Oregon and get paid in Oregon you owe taxes there. It doesn't matter how many exemptions you claim and how much is withheld, or isn't. You have to file a tax return and pay up. If you don't have enough withholding you might owe a penalty too.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Has anyone in CA considered purchasing their HCH in Oregon?

I just purchased a 2006 HCH and looked into buying in Nevada. As someone mentioned below, will be hard to keep out of state plates long term. In looking at the CA DMV site, they get you coming and going. What happens is that you enter the cost of the vehicle and then you subtract out tax in another state (which for OR would be $0). End result would be the same price you paid if you purchased in CA.

Bummer huh!

Rick