Gas display

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Gas display

I just did the recall on my HCH 04. I have had it a year now and average around 55 mpg working the hybrid features. I only have around 5000 miles on it. I usually fill up when the gas display shows two bars. The red low on gas light has never come on!!!!!!!! How far down do you have to take the gas display before the warning light comes on? How many gallons have some of you put into the 13.2 gallon tank.
thanks
the Thunderchief

Old 07-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas display

I've had the light come on, but can't recall how much gas I put into the tank when that happened. I've kept data on every tank - out of 78 tanks so far, the most gas I ever put in was 11.61 gallons. Average is 10.78. I usually go by mileage - I don't entirely trust the gas guage. The most miles I've gone was 539 (took 11.3 gallons at the fillup). I'm a bit conservative because the owners manual says to not let the car run out of gas, so I'll usually go 500 miles then start looking for a station.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The only time my low gas lite came on, it went out after a couple of miles then came on again for good ~12 miles later at ~643 miles. Refueled ~6 miles later; put in 13.62 gal. A couple of weeks ago I got all the way to 662 miles before refueling; needed 13.413 gal. The low fuel lite never came on.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I regularly put 700+ miles on a tank of gas. Today, I filled up at 741 with 12.6 gallons. The low fuel light had just come one, and I was at one bar.

I have gone 35 miles with no bars, and have yet to fill up with more than 12.9 gallons.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

somwhere someone said that the hch tank is 16gal. I would not be surprised, I think a lot of cars are engineered this way, it is kind of like a reserve tank. my parents minivan says it has an 18.1 gal tank, but I once filled it with 21.8 gallons (no top off neck fill crap either).

I have had the light come on, my largest fill is 12.6 gallons in my 05 HCH. That time, I probably drove on "no bars" for 50 miles or so.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The low fuel light comes on when no more than one bar of fuel is left.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I hate to disagree, but my light comes on with as many as three bars of fuel are left. I will attempt to photograph it next time it is one with more than one bar.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:59 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

when my car was new- first couple tanks the low gas light came on at 2 bars. now it's coming on at 1 bar usually. I think it varies as the gas consumption computer computes rate- several people have talked about bars going off, and coming back on when their fuel efficincy went up. I was trying for a max tank once,and ran it till the last bar went off- then headed for the gas station. by the time I got there, over flat roads with good mpg, the bar had come back on, and I filled with 10.5 gallons (smaller tank pzev) leaving a little over a gallon in the tank. ( I fill to first click off- no topping)
I want to do a tank where I keep track of mileage bar by bar- but haven't had a chance to yet.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with KL, Mine has come on with up to three bars left...computers.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

I have been driving with the empty light on since 500 miles I just barely made 600 and the car started sputering and I was only able to drive around 20 MPH. I guess you could say I ran our of gas. I found out I only have an 11.9 gallon tank which I filled up 11.702 Gallons.

Quick Reply: Gas display

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands