First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: First Impressions

Originally Posted by lakedude
Have any of you 2006 owner/drivers ever been in a gen 1? I'd call the engine start from auto-stop VERY smooth. Starting the car with IMA is much smoother than a regular starter. I'm wondering if it is different in the 06s?
I agree with Lakedude. My 03 with 45K miles still comes out of auto-stop without any kind of vibration. My test drive in an HAH some time ago was also the same - the V6 went into and out of autostop flawlessly. Seems unusual that a "next generation" car would take a step backward in that department.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by Tim
Seems unusual that a "next generation" car would take a step backward in that department.
I described it as a very slight vibration, but it is really barely noticeable, just a slight wur as the engine starts up.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Accidental Hybrid Fan

I had to learn to anticipate the moment or 2 necessary to let the car start before I go.
For example, in a line of traffic @ red light, foot on the brake, auto stop engaged. Light goes green, remove foot from brake to start the car...then I can go...

Old 11-18-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
I had to learn to anticipate the moment or 2 necessary to let the car start before I go.
For example, in a line of traffic @ red light, foot on the brake, auto stop engaged. Light goes green, remove foot from brake to start the car...then I can go...
Exactly. And I did drive a 2005 HCH and I noticed no such problem with it.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Accidental Hybrid Fan

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Exactly. And I did drive a 2005 HCH and I noticed no such problem with it.

Hmmm....
If one were to need to move in a hurry the auto stop does prevent you from doing so.
I think I will experiment with it this weekend and see whats what.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by lakedude
Have any of you 2006 owner/drivers ever been in a gen 1? I'd call the engine start from auto-stop VERY smooth. Starting the car with IMA is much smoother than a regular starter. I'm wondering if it is different in the 06s?
I'll be able to tell you for sure in January - when I compare the 03 we have now to the 06 that's being birthed

Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM

Of course, it occurs to me that there is a way around the problem. When you know you're going to move forward soon, just take your foot off the brake and then put it back on. When auto-stop disengages, it will not re-engage if you fail to speed up to at least 8 mph before braking again. This appears to me to be acknowledgement of the delay in disengaging it, so it doesn't keep turning on and off when you crawl forward between 0-5 mph.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I always do this to get the CVT engaged - that's the only lag I experience. The engine always fires up quick and smooth, but there is a bit of a delay for the CVT to sync back up. It's like .5 seconds, but if I rush it the car lurches. Never considered it a problem. Just the way the car is.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hmmm....
If one were to need to move in a hurry the auto stop does prevent you from doing so.
I think I will experiment with it this weekend and see whats what.
After reading these posts, I paid more attention to this on my commute this morining. If I listen for it, it does indeed take about a second before it stabilizes, but I also noticed that if I just go ahead and press the gas without delay, the car takes off immediately. When I'm not paying attention (radio going, having a conversation with my wife) I don't even notice it. So, while there's definitely a shudder and delay before it stabilizes, there's no perceptible delay 'off the line' (at least to me). I'll keep monitoring...

Old 11-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
It's like .5 seconds, but if I rush it the car lurches.
I'm definitely not seeing the lurch, but maybe I'm just not as quick on the draw. I'll try it...

Quick Reply: First Impressions

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands