First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast
Smile First Impressions

Woo hoo! My 2006 Civic Hybrid is now parked in my garage! It's a silver with blue interior and navigation.

The multi-colored interior is not as weird as I expected from the brochure. The ivory parts aren't quite as yellow as in the picture, so it looks okay to me. The ivory is a bit closer to grey. Fit and finish are very good-- what you'd expect from Honda.

Okay, so the first trip is to McDonalds. The first thing I noticed (this is my first hybrid) is that when you turn the car on, there's not much sound at all. You can hear a slight whirr as the regenerative braking kicks in too. Handling feels a little different from a regular car-- it feels like it doesn't coast as freely as I'm used to. I'm guessing its because of the way the battery gets charged. At this point, I'm half way to McDonalds and have realized, in my excitement, I've forgotten to lock the house. Grrr. Back to the house. Anyway the other thing I've noticed (not sure if this is normal), but there's a small worble / vibration as the car gets out of autostop (like the engine is somewhat roughly turning over). It's not as smooth a transition as I'd expected, and I'm wondring if there's something with this particular car. Then again, it could just be me scrutinizing everything. I wish there had been cars for me to test drive.

Well, that's it for first impressions. I've got to finish my french fries and try to figure out all the voice commands from the user manual.

-- Frank

Old 11-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First Impressions

Congrats Frank! Where are you located? Just a guess, but the vibration when the ICE starts up might smooth out as the engine gets broken in.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
G.H. Contributor

Hi Frank; Congrads on your new ride. Keep us posted on what the FE is after you drive it some and let us know about it starting up after the Ilde-Stop feature engages and the ICE restarts up.

Congrads-again;

Terry

Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

Congratulations Frank!

Where did you buy your 06HCH-Navi? I'm curious because I'm #2 on the waiting list and I haven't heard from my dealer since late last month. I better call them tomorrow.

Also, how do you like the navi?

Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I too just picked up my 06 HCH on wednesday, and have a similar impression to yours. The autostop causes just the slightest hesitation/vibration as the engine starts back up on take off. The temps dropped into the 20's last night, and I noticed that autostop didn't start working until the engine was warmed up, just as it says in the manual.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it handles, especially given the tires. It corners much flatter then the 99' Integra GS-R that I once owned...... not saying it handles better in general, but it does well. The steering wheel is much smaller than the typical car, similar to the S2000, or even a race car..... and has a very positive tactile feel. That along with the great looking dashboard and interior really contribute to the driving experience.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

The 2nd day of driving was on California freeways (so sorry, I can't tell you how it does going fast ). Actually, it has a lot of pep. Acceleration was very good and the transmission never felt as if it shifted or needed to shift.

The only negative thing I can come up with is that vibration as the car comes out of autostop. It feels like the car is idling roughly for a split second as the engine gets turned on. Hopefully that can be fine tuned; it's slightly annoying.

The other nice thing I've noticed is my mileage is already at the point where I would have had to fill up my Saturn SC2... and the hybrid's tank is 1/2 full! Nice.

I also feel short in this car compared to my Saturn. I'm 5'9" and feel like I'm sitting a bit low. It's hard to tell where the front and rear of the car ends, though I guess any new car will be that way. Tall people will probably like this car.

-- Frank

Old 11-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Have any of you 2006 owner/drivers ever been in a gen 1? I'd call the engine start from auto-stop VERY smooth. Starting the car with IMA is much smoother than a regular starter. I'm wondering if it is different in the 06s?

Old 11-17-2005, 07:07 PM

Maybe the larger engine displacement takes a little more effort to get started. the 06 has bigger engine right?

Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: First Impressions

Originally Posted by ftlum
The 2nd day of driving was on California freeways (so sorry, I can't tell you how it does going fast ). Actually, it has a lot of pep. Acceleration was very good and the transmission never felt as if it shifted or needed to shift.

The only negative thing I can come up with is that vibration as the car comes out of autostop. It feels like the car is idling roughly for a split second as the engine gets turned on. Hopefully that can be fine tuned; it's slightly annoying.

The other nice thing I've noticed is my mileage is already at the point where I would have had to fill up my Saturn SC2... and the hybrid's tank is 1/2 full! Nice.

I also feel short in this car compared to my Saturn. I'm 5'9" and feel like I'm sitting a bit low. It's hard to tell where the front and rear of the car ends, though I guess any new car will be that way. Tall people will probably like this car.

-- Frank
Hi frank; nice report from you. Say have you thought to adjust your (Drivers-Seat-Height) with the manual seat riser? You can you know, it's beside your drivers seat and has a Ratchet adjustment to it up and down for seat height for tall and short drivers.

HTH

Terry

Old 11-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lakedude
Have any of you 2006 owner/drivers ever been in a gen 1? I'd call the engine start from auto-stop VERY smooth. Starting the car with IMA is much smoother than a regular starter. I'm wondering if it is different in the 06s?
I've got an '03 CVT and my husband's only complaint about the car is the little "shudder" when coming out of Auto-Stop. I don't notice it on my own, but he swears it's there -- so perhaps it's something to do with people's sensitivity to such things?

Can't wait to test drive the '06, still trying to convince hubby that I need NAV when ordering mine.

peace,
Linda

Quick Reply: First Impressions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands