First Flat Tire '06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First Flat Tire '06 HCH

I just wanted to give an update about finding a tire. I decided to call Honda yesterday to see if the tire was in stock and find out the price. Honda did not have one in stock and they had to call me back with the price. When they did I was told $104 just for the tire and about 5 days to get it in stock. So know that Tire rack was $68.00 with $16.00 shipping and delivered in 2 days I decided to look around. I went to sears, no luck and they could even order it or give a price. I called Mr. Tire, Merchants tire, Pep Boys and a mom and pop tire shop all no luck. Then a went to a Goodyear store because Goodyear owns Dunlop and I figured that if anybody had it it would be them. No luck either, the guy at Goodyear never even heard of the tire. He looked in the computer to see if they had it at any other Goodyear anywhere, and guess what no luck. He also called three tire distributors and they all didn't have it. I of them said they would get it in, in about a month. So, I decided to order from tire rack yesterday. The tire was already shipped and I should have it tomorrow. This seems to be a very hard to find tire. The way it sounded from the guy at Goodyear is because the tire is so new to the market its not even out yet. I don't know what tire is on the HCH I's, but that sound about right to me. Hopefully they will be more plentiful in a few months.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Having read this entire thread, I'm a little confused... Isn't there some kind of warranty on the '06 HCH tires, especially since the car is almost brand new? Forgive me if I've missed something obvious.

Don

Old 12-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
As far as the dealer having the tires in stock I am sure that they do, but I don't want to go there unless I have too because I know they will marked up in price at the dealer.
You may want to try Sears, or contact Dunlop directly. When I was looking to see if they had replacements for my Dunlop SP20 (stock on 2003 HCH), I could not find them anywhere (not even on the Dunlop site). When I contacted them, they said Sears carried them. Wound up buying another brand however (needed 4 anyway).

Update: Oops - didn't read your last update. Sorry! I ordered my new wheels from TireRack - had a great experience with them. They shipped the wrong caps - sent me replacements for everything free of charge and very prompt.

Last edited by Tim; 12-20-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dshelman
Having read this entire thread, I'm a little confused... Isn't there some kind of warranty on the '06 HCH tires, especially since the car is almost brand new? Forgive me if I've missed something obvious.

Don
I sorry, I keep forgetting to answer this. There is a warranty on the tires however, it only comes workmanship on the tires. The tire damage is considered road hazzard damage. It would only be covered if I bought the optional wheel and tire hazzard warranty for $900 from Honda.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:21 PM

The reason it's so hard to fine the Dunlop SP37 A/S is because it's an OEM tire, which means it's only used as original equipment on cars but is not actually sold at any tire shop anywhere (well, except Tire Rack). The SP40 A/S are non-OEM and those would be much easier to find... but neither tire is really that good.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
The reason it's so hard to fine the Dunlop SP37 A/S is because it's an OEM tire, which means it's only used as original equipment on cars but is not actually sold at any tire shop anywhere (well, except Tire Rack). The SP40 A/S are non-OEM and those would be much easier to find... but neither tire is really that good.
The tire I was looking for was Dunlop SP31 A/S. I have found other OEM tires no problem. Alll of the stores had plenty of SP40's even though they are not OEM! These tires have a very different tread pattern. Three of the places I went to told me how unsual the tread pattern was oon the tire. There is not much of a demand for this type of tire...until the HCH'II or anyother vehicle wanting better fuel economy.

Also, just to say that in the small driving I have done with my spare the mileage has drastically dropped. Thats okay because I am driving the truck till I get a new tire.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Finally got the tire today! I will mount and balance it tomorrow and I will be back on the road.

Last edited by Adam_HybridCivic; 12-21-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Glad to hear you got the tire so quickly. I have used Tirerack in the past and have found their reviews on tires very helpful. Their price ain't bad either!!