FE-Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default FE-Weather

I have noticed that the majority of HCH06 owners are getting well over 40 mpg and find that amazing as I work hard to acheive my 39 mpg.

How much of an impact does the cold play. I am driving in average temps right now about -10 C... @+10 C am I going to see a 5-7 mpg increase?

Am I sitting average for the weather?

Regards.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FE-Weather

please read up in these forums before posting lots of questions. 99% of your initial questions will be answered with a little searching & reading.

Yes cold has a very large effect on mpg- especially if you are driving well below freezing. Look in the database for people in cold climates and look at their recent numbers- you will see a huge dropoff since November.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ugh.. well said gonavy - Read before post. The one thing I have not done is looked at the "cars" in the database.. just the average L/100km but you are exactly correct.

Cold climate is a significant factor as much as 1L-2L/100km and my answer was about 10 mouse clicks away.

Cheers!

Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Todays Commute

The weather has shifted and is now hovering around 0 C vs -10 C and my commute today in reasonable traffic averaged 5.2 L/100KM. I am very excited about the potential of getting under 5 L/100Km next spring/summer.

Cheers!

Old 12-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

"... Read before post."

On the other hand, most of us on this forum (and others) really sort of like to hear ourselves talk, so asking a question that has already been answered is not necessarily a bad idea.

Besides, sometimes things change, and so a fresh discussion is warranted.

And if it gives us a chance to complain about something like the weather, so much the better. So here goes: even I, living in northern california, where winters are only 30-40 degrees, and only suffering from rain and fog -- even I seem to lose about 5 mpg in the winter.

So don't despair, your mileage will certainly improve significantly in the spring/summer/fall seasons.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

You know the first post reply I found a little offensive ... but being that I have "moderated" a few forums in the past and it was a little relevent i let it go.

The second reply to this post while I found it intelligent and a little witty I found it more offensive than the original post.

Two comments:

1) This is a discussion forum and that being the case I may choose to discuss whatever I choose regardless of whether its been previously posted or a similar thread exists. (This forum is not that busy that my "meanlingless" posts will waste precious time and bandwidth).

2) I am truly excited about my new hybrid and discussing/sharing of FE related discussions and while I will most likely search relevent information and choose not to "waste" a post I will share my thoughts regardless of whether similar thoughts have been shared in the past!

So while i respect the intent of the previous posts I will continue to discuss at my leisure issues that are relevent to me.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just to add more data to this thread. Monday it was around -5C. I got 5.9l/100km for 21.8k of all city driving. Once the car got warm, I did a reset on trip B and it showed 5.2l/100km for about 17km of driving. It takes about 4-5km of driving to get the engine warm.

This morning, it was -18C. I got 6.2l/100km for the same route. Traffic was about the same. Once the car was warmed up, did a reset and got 5.5l/100km for about 17km of driving.

Thanks,
Stephane.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by tko4you
The second reply to this post while I found it intelligent and a little witty I found it more offensive than the original post.
??? Is that referring to my post? I thought I was just backing you up, saying that you should be able to post whatever you want, and that bringing up a topic again is often quite useful.

I'm completely lost.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:33 PM

Wait -- maybe my style of quoting somebody else was confusing: in this case, using quotes and bold font, as in "...Read before post." I wasn't actually saying that, I was quoting the general thrust of the original complaint, which I then went on to disagree with.

I'm innocent, honest I am!

Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: FE-Weather

Originally Posted by coyote
Wait -- maybe my style of quoting somebody else was confusing: i
Ahh, mystery solved -- I was just as cornfused as the original poster <--- (Me, not him).....

That must have been it, Coyote...... What do you think tk04you?

Don

ps -- good test info on temps and mileage, by the way! Even though some of us yanks are a little confused by the metric system. OK, a lot confused. We tried it for like a week, and said "screw it".

DSH

Quick Reply: FE-Weather

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands