First 4 days of driving...MPG 51.2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First 4 days of driving...MPG 51.2!

Just stopped by the local gas station and pumped 10 gals. and I drove 584.4 miles or 58.4 MPG. Not to bad!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:50 PM
For my daughter

Not bad at all, congrat.

PM

Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twoquack
Hello,
I apologize for the indirect topic, but it's relevant I feel. I'm looking HARD at buying a Civiv Hybrid and test drove one yesterday. Not long enough to make a good call on what I can expect from MPG performance. My situation is unique in that I drive each week a round trip of 400 miles on the highway (200 one way) and it takes me 3 hours now, driving at 80 MPH. Yes, I have a great radar dectector. So my question is this, to you current owners, what has been your experience in driving a long distance at a constant 80 MPH? What can I really expect to get in MPG?
Thank you,
James Twoquack
I did 37mpg but was averaging 95mph for 4.5 hours. So I think you can get 40mpg if the road is flat.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 AM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by PapaMile
My guess is 37mpg.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:15 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Well, my wife got the Civic Hybrid for the first 1,200 miles. I wanted her to test it out and see how she would like it in hopes of having 2 HCH in the driveway! But alas, she went from a Chevy Ventre Van to a HCH. Having only 1 child, but doing a lot of school functions, she just kept feeling that she "needed more room". So she decided to go with the '07 Honda Pilot which is about in the middle of a HCH and a mini-van...

Whatever makes her happy is what I say, but now I have the HCH and it's time to really get the MPG up to par! My wife did not really want to change her driving habits... she can have a lead foot, and jump from light to light and ALWAYS has the A/C on... but even so, she averaged 38 mpg! She just didn't understand coasting and trying to keep the tach under 2K. So I have no idea where consumer reports got only 25mpg

Every time I drove the car, I would bump the MPG up by 2-3 - even on just 10 mile trips around town. When I officially got the car today, she was at 37.1. After a 20 mile trip, I had it up to 39.6. Now, I have to say I was an extreme lead foot in my Chevy Cavalier. I was always racing from light to light, always wanting to do 60 around town and 85 on the freeway. I would cover every square inch of the road jumping back and forth between lanes and cutting around slow-pokes (people actually doing the speed limit ). But since we got the HCH, I just feel more relaxed in the car and don't want to speed. I've actually learned that coasting and not jumping on the gas when the light turns green, I actually get to where I'm going just as fast and get great mileage to boot! So if she was getting 38 mpg with her driving style... I should easily get at least 50-55 mpg!

Old 05-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AJR
Well, my wife got the Civic Hybrid for the first 1,200 miles. I wanted her to test it out and see how she would like it in hopes of having 2 HCH in the driveway! But alas, she went from a Chevy Ventre Van to a HCH. Having only 1 child, but doing a lot of school functions, she just kept feeling that she "needed more room". So she decided to go with the '07 Honda Pilot which is about in the middle of a HCH and a mini-van...

Whatever makes her happy is what I say, but now I have the HCH and it's time to really get the MPG up to par! My wife did not really want to change her driving habits... she can have a lead foot, and jump from light to light and ALWAYS has the A/C on... but even so, she averaged 38 mpg! She just didn't understand coasting and trying to keep the tach under 2K. So I have no idea where consumer reports got only 25mpg

Every time I drove the car, I would bump the MPG up by 2-3 - even on just 10 mile trips around town. When I officially got the car today, she was at 37.1. After a 20 mile trip, I had it up to 39.6. Now, I have to say I was an extreme lead foot in my Chevy Cavalier. I was always racing from light to light, always wanting to do 60 around town and 85 on the freeway. I would cover every square inch of the road jumping back and forth between lanes and cutting around slow-pokes (people actually doing the speed limit ). But since we got the HCH, I just feel more relaxed in the car and don't want to speed. I've actually learned that coasting and not jumping on the gas when the light turns green, I actually get to where I'm going just as fast and get great mileage to boot! So if she was getting 38 mpg with her driving style... I should easily get at least 50-55 mpg!
I really believe the HCH make you change your driving habits. I know I would always drive 80 MPH on my way to work in back in my SUV. Now I look more at my MPG vs my speed.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yay for higher efficiences! It's like a religion. We are converted!

Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Well, I did it! The tank my wife started before I got the HCH2, she put 175 miles and was only at 37.1 mpg. One week later (see date of my original post), I went another 327 miles (total of 502) and got the mpg up to 50.2! I was extremely happy to pass into the 500 mile club, but because my last 2 fuel gauge lights went out after only 25 miles, I got worried about how much further I should go. I only ended up going another 20 miles after the last fuel light went out. So I went to fillup last night and it only took 10.003 gallons. I truly tried to top it off a little but the pump wouldn't let me!

So I'm sure I could have got 600+ out of the tank, which means with my driving style, I should easily be able to get a 700 mile tank! Whereas my wife filled up her Pilot last night as well, and only had 303 miles (on 18 gallons) for an un-amazing 16.2 mpg!

I'm really happy with myHCHII - I'm telling anyone and everyone who asks about it (or just lingering around the car). I'm off to work on with my new tank of gas...

Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Every now and then my average drops below 50 mpg and I get really upset. I believe this is my greedy side kicking in.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, I have now had my HCH for 4 weeks and I have yet to average under 50 mpg. This has to be one of the best investments I have ever made. I did notice the MPG the car's computer displays is about 2-3 MPG off. Last tank full computer showed I only averaged 50.7 MPG but when I did the math I average 53.2 MPG. Not too bad!

Quick Reply: First 4 days of driving...MPG 51.2!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands