First 4 days of driving...MPG 51.2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:31 PM
For my daughter
Default Re: First 4 days of driving...MPG 51.2!

My guess is 37mpg. I do 50mpg at 56mph, I did 44mpg at 65mph. So you would probably do somthing like 35 to 40. Your 80mph is your first obstacle to fuel economy. The most relevant suggestion for your situation is carpooling, moving more near of your destination. I make 250 miles per week and that's already too much. I am evaluating some other options to change it. Why not for you ?!. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reports are so clear. The marginal solution is not acceptable anymore.

However, an hybrid choice is always a good decision and not a marginal one.

PM

Old 05-04-2007, 03:48 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by twoquack
Hello,
I apologize for the indirect topic, but it's relevant I feel. I'm looking HARD at buying a Civiv Hybrid and test drove one yesterday. Not long enough to make a good call on what I can expect from MPG performance. My situation is unique in that I drive each week a round trip of 400 miles on the highway (200 one way) and it takes me 3 hours now, driving at 80 MPH. Yes, I have a great radar dectector. So my question is this, to you current owners, what has been your experience in driving a long distance at a constant 80 MPH? What can I really expect to get in MPG?
Thank you,
James Twoquack
I own one but keep it 65mph or lower (and 55mpg or higher). My WAG would be ~40mpg @ 80mph.

Test drive one long enough on a freeway where you can get up to 80mph, set cruise control, reset the mpg and drive 2-3 miles this way. You should be in the ballpark.

Of course, dropping the speed on the 3 hour trip from 80 to 70 will take you another 20 minutes or so, but I would expect it to also get the FE up from 40mpg to 50mpg - and your stress/radar detector wont be as apparent during the drive.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hello...first of all...I just wanted to let you know that a gasoline hybrid is NOT a green vehicle. People, it uses gasoline! It makes no difference how many miles per gallon you get or how clean the emissions are...it uses GASOLINE which uses up our natural resources. Obviously, people have been brainwashed by auto companies promoting a so-called "green vehicle". A green vehicle would be a diesel engine running only on VEGGIE OIL, which people can get for free at restaurants that use canola or soy oil for cooking. It is called RECYCLING, which we need to do more of. It costs about $ .50/gal. to make the veggie fuel. Some diesels can be converted to run on just the veggie fuel and others may need a separate tank, but at least it is a true GREEN vehicle.
Also, Consumer Reports did a recent study on hybrid mileage. And if you use your A/C, you better recheck your mileage because they said it would be around 25 MPG! Here is an excerpt from them: Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets. In Consumer Reports' real-world driving test, the Civic Hybrid averaged 26 mpg in the city, while the Toyota Prius averaged 35 mpg, much less than their respective EPA estimates of 47 and 60 mpg. Hybrid cars performed much closer to EPA estimates in Consumer Reports' highway tests without the use of air conditioning.
gariadea

Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by gariadea
Hello...first of all...I just wanted to let you know that a gasoline hybrid is NOT a green vehicle. People, it uses gasoline!
Hi gariadea.

I 99% agree with you. I best fuel savers I know do not have car, take the bus, train, subways and any other public transport. On this site, people talks about cars, even their radio's car so... This said, the life is more complex than it might appear and for some persons having a car is essential. The public transport is not available. An easy good reason. But for subhurbain going to the downtown day after day, taking the most fuel efficieny car for that is terrible waste of ressources. But for the ones really needing a car, A fuel efficency hybrid car is a good solution. And I'am not talking about the car doing 35mpg since they are hybrid. And again some very very limited group might need such king of car. Yes the Veggioil is interesting but it still promote the indivual vehicle and there is burning of something generating CO2 therefore globarl warming impacts.. A good public transportation could eliminate 50% for the cars. North americans have a lot to learn from Europeens.

If you chech the averages on this site, you will see plenty of real world average and 50mpg to 65mpg is not something rare.

Pierre

Last edited by PapaMile; 05-04-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Energy Independence

... It makes no difference how many miles per gallon you get or how clean the emissions are...it uses GASOLINE which uses up our natural resources.
So you are saying that it does not matter whether I drive a Civic Hybrid or a Hummer for my 18,000 miles a year? If only we could all live in your black-n-white world. The public is not going to do an about-face overnight with regards to driving habits - even though I wish it would change more quickly too. Decreasing fuel consumption (however we can, and DO) is better than NOT decreasing it. Just my contribution is reducing the gas used from 1500 gallons a year (Hummer) to 391 gallons a year (Civic Hybrid). 1109 gallons saved (not to mention $3000).
I think what you may be trying to say here is for us not to get too proud of ourselves for our small efforts. On that we can agree. But don't say it doesn't make ANY difference.
... Also, Consumer Reports did a recent study on hybrid mileage. And if you use your A/C, you better recheck your mileage because they said it would be around 25 MPG! Here is an excerpt from them: Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets. In Consumer Reports' real-world driving test, the Civic Hybrid averaged 26 mpg in the city, while the Toyota Prius averaged 35 mpg, much less than their respective EPA estimates of 47 and 60 mpg. Hybrid cars performed much closer to EPA estimates in Consumer Reports' highway tests without the use of air conditioning.
That report has been talked about (here and elsewhere) ad nauseum. Suffice it to say there are a lot of anti-hybrid journalism tactics in the report. There is no one on this site that gets as poor as 25 MPG on their Civic Hybrid. City-only drivers, all highway drivers, 80mph drivers - nobody. Also, ALL vehicles' MPG suffer when the AC is on. You DO know this, right? Consumer Reports KNOWS this, too, and chose deliberately to mislead. And currently, ALL vehicles' EPA estimates are done without using the AC. Consumer Reports KNOWS this too. The article is biased in its attempt to "create" a story, a "buzz" - to sell magazines.
It matters not to many here - we KNOW what these hybrids do. (Pretty much 40 MPG without any efforts, more if you slow down a little, try a little, or have a long commute.) Articles like this one bother some of us (like me) because they are read by many people that "buy" the story - and then believe they KNOW what these hybrids can do. Then they spread the bad reviews as gospel. What's most bothersome about THIS article is that it comes from a typically trustworthy (even if not always 100% accurate) source. I'm a fan of Consumer Reports, but have lost a good bit of faith in their unbiased testing procedures and journalism. I've never believed everything they said, nor always 100% agreed with their rankings, but I've never known them before to approach a subject with the intent of deception. I don't doubt their results, per se, but I do question their methods, and especially their INTENT on this story.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hello...first of all...I just wanted to let you know that a gasoline hybrid is NOT a green vehicle. People, it uses gasoline! It makes no difference how many miles per gallon you get or how clean the emissions are...it uses GASOLINE which uses up our natural resources. Obviously, people have been brainwashed by auto companies promoting a so-called "green vehicle". A green vehicle would be a diesel engine running only on VEGGIE OIL, which people can get for free at restaurants that use canola or soy oil for cooking. It is called RECYCLING, which we need to do more of. It costs about $ .50/gal. to make the veggie fuel. Some diesels can be converted to run on just the veggie fuel and others may need a separate tank, but at least it is a true GREEN vehicle.
Also, Consumer Reports did a recent study on hybrid mileage. And if you use your A/C, you better recheck your mileage because they said it would be around 25 MPG! Here is an excerpt from them: Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets. In Consumer Reports' real-world driving test, the Civic Hybrid averaged 26 mpg in the city, while the Toyota Prius averaged 35 mpg, much less than their respective EPA estimates of 47 and 60 mpg. Hybrid cars performed much closer to EPA estimates in Consumer Reports' highway tests without the use of air conditioning.
gariadea
Hello and goodbye

Old 05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Let's not feed this fire, shall we? Perhaps it is time to lock this thread before this gets nasty.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Perhaps it is time to lock this thread before this gets nasty.
No don't do that it's the threat of our new friend kenkobra doing 51.2mpg. Just return to the initial talks.

PM

Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have no problem if they want to lock the tread. I just hate it when other come in and tread crap and there is no need for that here on this friendly board.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sadly, these things do happen once in a while.
Sometimes we just have to learn to ignore this incidental trolling and focus on the real benefits of these forums. I agree, perhaps locking the thread is a little premature at this point.

By the way Ken, great mileage numbers !!
Keep up the awesome work.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: First 4 days of driving...MPG 51.2!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands