FAS performed for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FAS performed for the first time

The one odd thing I notice when performing FAS in the Insight is that the gas gauge doesn't always come back to the same reading, especially when it's low (like 2-3 bars left). The low level light appears to come on earlier also.

Regards,

Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That makes sense, it recalibrates.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by livvie
Ok. anybody have a MT and does FAS? If so, does the system really reset? If you "pop" the clutch to start the engine?
I've got a MT and I FAS all the time. When I'm gonna need to slow down I ususally push start it. The display goes away when you kill the ICE and comes back in a couple of seconds when you put the key back in the number 2 spot. When you push start it the only change in the display is that the tach jumps up from zero and some warning lights might go off.

See my video. It should answer your questions.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

FYI: the HCH usually uses the IMA motor to start the engine (which is why starting is so quiet), but it has a backup 12v starter that will engage if the pack is dead, the backup starter also allows a regular 12v jump start to work if both of your batteries are dead (seen in the manual).

I FAS with my MT and I never use the clutch to restart the engine, I tried it a few times and the car lurched and kicked more than I liked, didn't seem like I was being kind to the tranny and linkage at all. I also lost a lot of KE doing it that way. Possibly in 4th or 5th it wouldn't be so bad.

An upside to clutch starting is that the key kills the radio for a few seconds, clutch starting doesn't, there is also a few second delay after key starting to when regenerative braking will occur, don't know about clutch starting but hopefully it is better there too.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:55 AM
04 prius 350,000km

Originally Posted by kmh3
FYI: the HCH usually uses the IMA motor to start the engine (which is why starting is so quiet), but it has a backup 12v starter that will engage if the pack is dead, the backup starter also allows a regular 12v jump start to work if both of your batteries are dead (seen in the manual).

I FAS with my MT and I never use the clutch to restart the engine, I tried it a few times and the car lurched and kicked more than I liked, didn't seem like I was being kind to the tranny and linkage at all. I also lost a lot of KE doing it that way. Possibly in 4th or 5th it wouldn't be so bad.

An upside to clutch starting is that the key kills the radio for a few seconds, clutch starting doesn't, there is also a few second delay after key starting to when regenerative braking will occur, don't know about clutch starting but hopefully it is better there too.
I FAS in my normal civic all the time, the trick is to let the clutch out to the friction point. Then when it begins gripping let out the clutch and then as soon as the engine comes back to life, PUSH the clutch in and slide the shfter to neutral to avoid any shuttering (if done right your engine should come on and no one should be able to notice it unless they are looking at your tachcometer. ANd yes this is all done within a second, my fastest attempt to get the ICE on with no shutter is 1/2 a second.)

Sure it'll eat some clutch, but no more than just shifting to the next gear if done correctly. Shifting agressively at higher rpms sounds like more wear and tear than starting with the engine with the clutch with some velocity (usually 25 mph in 5th).

FAS with engine off = more mpg and more distance travelled as compared to a netural coast. Benifits of having a manual tranmission as opposed to automatics. (Although I do wonder how much better a CVT is if you can abuse FAS all the time...)

Old 03-19-2006, 04:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

great description! i should have a manual tranny this year to test it out on...hopefully!

Old 03-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This probably has been brought up before, but are we doing any harm to our cars by using the FAS technique. If you were to compare my HCH with 10,000 engine starts (just guessing here), to another HCH with 5,000 engine starts, would there be any noticable difference in either car in terms of wear and tear? There's the obvious point of I've started my car 5,000 more times, but will that make a difference 10 years from now?

Old 04-06-2006, 02:14 AM
04 prius 350,000km

AFter reading this thread one more time, I have to say FAS is totally worth it. When you can abuse the living crap out of FAS, your numbers should be almost untouchable by many people. (a scanguage proves this)

Its just I don't use it enough because I"m not confident enough as well drivers behind me always intimidate me to speed up. I don't know why but its a habit I want to drop, but the hills don't help either...

At least I know I'll do less harm than a guy who loves to drive agressively I'm already planning to save for a car starter and 12volt lol.

Last edited by philmcneal; 04-06-2006 at 02:20 AM.