Does a hybrid car make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Does a hybrid car make sense?

Have him look at an Accord Hybrid before he signs for a regular one. I was going to present the case for a Civic Hybrid for him (yes, it can be made), but I saw your post stating that $555 was too rich for a Civic on a 36/60 lease.

I'm willing to bet that the 'green light' in the gauge display will teach him to adjust his acceleration habits (or at least start using cruise control). If he does - he'll get 39-40mpg with the car for the highway portions; probably about 29 with the city portions (I'm guessing he lives in nice, warm, flat FL like you do). When I had mine, I'd get 39 on the interstate without even trying, 42 with a little effort, and with a longer trip above 45mpg. If he looks at the feedback the car gives him, he'll benefit - and he'll change.

Why is he so hot for a hybrid ? He probably realizes that he's never going to see gas at < $2.50/gal again, but he still has to drive > 20K mi/year. Perhaps he's cognizant of environmental concerns as well.

And you never know - he may decide to KEEP the car after 3yrs. Make sure you negotiate a nice low residual - Honda can't give the HAH away. Also - he can't claim the tax credit ($1300 for the HAH) unless he buys the car. That might make a difference to him.

Get it without the Navi, and he could possibly pick one up for mid-26K (I see them advertised here in IL for that). At that price, it becomes very attractive, IMO. Probably looking at $460 or so per month, depending on if prepaid maintenance is written into the lease, money factor, residual, and capital cost (money down).

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 07-31-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

The 4cyl Accord is rated 24/34 while the HAH is rated 25/34, practically the same. The 4cyl Accord is priced a LOT lower than the hybrid. Other than a lot more power and perhaps some fancy options I see no real advantage to the hybrid version. If higher mileage is a concern the TCH would make a better choice in a hybrid IMHO.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mx, unless he is willing to change habits the hybrid probably isn't a good choice for him.
Why?
Some folks buy these cars and expect the vehicle to do 100% EPA all by itself with little/no human help.
Although the hybrid would likely provide better fuel economy than a regular gas car I'm thinking he might end up being "another disgruntled hybrid driver" the auto magazines always showcase.

With that said...
I drove all my previous cars like a real Left-lane tailgating jerk. My pedal was also full off or full on most of the time and only did about 16MPG with a Dodge 4cyl car rated over 21. Sometimes I even scared myself. (So much other drivers)

But I bought my hybrid car to learn efficiency...I was willing to change my habits and save fuel costs. I didn't know at the time it was going to change my life as well.
It all depends on your father-in-law.

-Steve

Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Enthusiast

Greenandblue, your logic is sound, but like Lakedude said, there is a rough case for the HCH. He will never buyout the lease. I know that would make sense, as it would make more sense to even pay cash for the car outright (which I never see as a good thing to do if you have the cash sitting properly) but that would make more sense than his leasing habits.

He is primarily concerned with seeing that big MPG number at the end of the day - there is a certain smugness to it I'm sure, but he would like to brag about his miles per tank yadda yadda. Not too bad but, in the end he is not willing to do it properly - buying the car, earing the tax credits, keeping it for the lifetime of a car. He'll end up paying too much for a base Accord lease, he'll get hosed on the deal and won't care enough about it to see it.

Thanks for all of the input and help. I think the HCH would be good for him, better than I thought initially, but only if he bought it, and kept it beyond 3 years.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here it is again, that "Hybirds are only for certain driving conditions or certain people" thing.

If he uses gas, he'll use less in a hybrid.
Any conditions.
Any person.
Period.

Last edited by kenny; 08-01-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I agree with Kenny.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Doing the right thing always makes sense. The HCHII gives you fewer excuses NOT to do the right thing.