Does Honda charge for this ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Does Honda charge for this ????

I was wondering,

If you change your oil yourself, or if you change the air filter yourself, does Honda charge you to reset your maintenence light ???? I know you can reset the oil life meter, but I mean the "check engine" light, would they charge to reset it ???? Or can it be done by us ???? I didn't seem to find it in the manual.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned
Default Re: Does Honda charge for this ????

I change my own oil and figure doing it in a Civic is the same as an Insight. Your owner's manual probably has instructions of which buttons on the dashboard to press and how long to turn of the "Maintainence Required" light. I could quote how to do it for an Insight, but may not be apply on the Civic...

Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Rarely post anything

Delta - with Honda's new 'Maintenance Minder' system, there's two components - the OLM, which they *do* give instructions for, and the 'Maintenance Required' indicator in the shape of an open-end wrench, which they *don't*. This was probably a sop to their dealer service departments - if they guard that info, the customer *has* to come to them to get the light reset (with a probably associated charge, even if the customer did the work).

Now - that being said, since they give instructions on how to change oil, and reset the OLM, then they *should* be willing to impart the info on how to reset the Maint Req indicator after an 'A1' service (change oil, rotate tires) (?)

Of course, that would be also how to reset after an 'B1', a 'A3', etc.

The Insight procedures are probably different (although our upper dash tier looks a lot like yours), but we might get some value from having them posted, if you'd be so kind. Thanks

Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I've had maintenance done on my car, at the dealer, and they haven't reset the maint req'd light, I've had to do it myself. However, mine is an '04 HCH.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

are there different procedures involved in resetting these maintenance lights?

i thought the change oil or service a or b procedure would be the same as resetting the "wrench" procedure.

I'm getting confused now on these procedures, my car is not coming until march 6th anyway. So i'll just keep my mouth for now in case i say something that doesnt make sense

best regards to all

Old 02-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Its in the manual how to reset the oil life meter, which is in the same display section as the odometer. What I'm referring to is the "wrench" light, which is Honda's version of the "check engine" light. THAT is what I need to know how to reset. Does anyone know how to do this ???? Even if its NOT an 06 ????