Canadian Government not helping HCH sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Canadian Government not helping HCH sales

Originally Posted by Natural Resources Canada Website
First offered in Canada for the 2003 model year, the Honda Civic Hybrid is available from any Honda dealership for about $10,000 more than a regular Civic. It has a 1.3-litre, four-cylinder engine. Its fuel consumption rating is 4.9 L/100 km in the city and 4.6 L/100 km on the highway. It is the same size and comes with the same features as a gasoline powered Honda Civic.
Would anyone want to pay $10,000 CDN more for the same car ("same size...same features") only because is a Hybrid ?

The automatic LX Civic Sedan sells for $21,580 CDN, the Civic Hybrid sells for $25,800 CDN ( $4,220 CDN difference), and the Hybrid has some additional options that the LX doesn't have.

Natural Resources Canada is supposed to protect our environment by promoting ways to reduce pollution and the use of more efficient vehicles.
I believe they are doing the opposite by providing erroneous information.

Please send them your feedback, even if you are in the USA, our air pollution doesn't stop at the border.

Link to Natural Resources Canada:
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ity.cfm?attr=8

Last edited by Katz6768; 02-24-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Banned
Default This Could be Ironic

Could we have Canadians coming to the U.S. for a good HCH deal, while Americans buy Canadian drugs?

Something is definitely wrong with a $10,000 markup.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: This Could be Ironic

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Could we have Canadians coming to the U.S. for a good HCH deal, while Americans buy Canadian drugs?

Something is definitely wrong with a $10,000 markup.
The price of the HCH is about the same in Canada and the U.S.

The point is that the Canadian Government agency supposed to promote the HCH (and alternative fuel vehicles) says that the HCH costs $10,000 more than a gas only Civic with the same features.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Banned
Red face Opps!

Sorry I misunderstood.

It could be worse - the U.S. tax break on business/farm vehicle loophole you can drive a Hummer thru.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Opps!

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
It could be worse - the U.S. tax break on business/farm vehicle loophole you can drive a Hummer thru.
It is pretty bad up here... I see some Hummers but I have never seen any HCHs anywhere, except for the one I test-drove a few weeks ago.

Where I live we have frequent bus service, using 60 feet articulated buses with GPS in them, but I see them carrying only a couple of people, some times empty. Lots of mini-vans and SUVs carrying only the driver...

Old 02-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian Government not helping HCH sales

Originally Posted by Katz6768
Would anyone want to pay $10,000 CDN more for the same car ("same size...same features") only because is a Hybrid ?

The automatic LX Civic Sedan sells for $21,580 CDN, the Civic Hybrid sells for $25,800 CDN ( $4,220 CDN difference), and the Hybrid has some additional options that the LX doesn't have.

Natural Resources Canada is supposed to protect our environment by promoting ways to reduce pollution and the use of more efficient vehicles.
I believe they are doing the opposite by providing erroneous information.

Please send them your feedback, even if you are in the USA, our air pollution doesn't stop at the border.

Link to Natural Resources Canada:
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ity.cfm?attr=8
I live in Quebec, I just bought a new HCH 3 weeks ago and loving it.

I did exactly the same answer yesterday night in a french forum regarding the same comment about the $10,000 difference. I know most people compare the HCH to an LX to display price difference but after you look closely to the spec of the LX versus the EX, I find the EX more a correct match to compare with an HCH. The + of the EX versus the LX mostly equal the + of the Hybrid versus the LX. Which make the price difference even less significant.

Anyway, it's just my way of to see it.

I don't know why our government don't do anything to promote more fuel efficient car. But this year I have decided not to wait anymore to make a good move.

Sorry for any wording mistake, this is not my first language.

Last edited by Soleil24; 02-24-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I filled in a form on their contact page to alert them of the error. You can too, at

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...els.cfm?attr=8

if you feel the need. Reference the page with the mistake as Katz listed it in his link. Hopefully they will correct the website. According to the Honda Canada website, the base price for an HCH 06 is $25,800 Canadian and the regular Civic is $16,980 Canadian, for a difference of $8820. Further apart than I would have thought, but significantly less than $10,000 Canadian, so a correction should be made.

P.S. Soleil24- your English is pretty good, actually. Better than my French! so don't feel awkward posting just because of that. We can understand you, and having Canadians on the forum can only be a good thing- we appreciate new viewpoints.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
According to the Honda Canada website, the base price for an HCH 06 is $25,800 Canadian and the regular Civic is $16,980 Canadian, for a difference of $8820. Further apart than I would have thought, but significantly less than $10,000 Canadian, so a correction should be made.
Thanks Leah.

If they simply change the $10,000 Cdn to $8,820 Cdn I would still have an issue with their statement that you get the same features.
The $16,980 Cdn Civic is the DX model with manual transmission, steel wheels, no cruise, no driver arm rest, no steering wheel controls, no keyless entry, no CVT, no map lights, etc... these should be worth a couple of Canadian loonies.

In any case Natural Resources Canada should be trying to convince us to buy Hybrids. That's what we pay them for .

Last edited by Katz6768; 02-24-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 AM
04 prius 350,000km

ya its garbage its 31000 cnd just for a prius... that translate to over 25000 US.... for A BASE MODEL!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Katz 6768: I completely agree with you. Comparing the base prices isn't really representative of the difference. Write the Canadian government and voice your protest! Maybe they'll get rid of that comment about price on the page altogether. Honestly, a lot of people know that information online isn't always reliable, so the error isn't exactly shocking, but when it's on a government website there's a certain amount of extra credibility to consumers, and you're right: the Natural Resources people should have people's environmental benefits at heart in the things they do and the way they put out information. Of course, here in the US, that isn't always true. Politics gets in the way. I'm not saying this is a deliberate error, necessarily, but things like this happen a lot. It's aggravating.

Quick Reply: Canadian Government not helping HCH sales

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands