Cruise Control and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cruise Control and MPG

Originally Posted by JJanney
I follow this exact same routine, except my average speed is 63 MPH, in the slow lane. I keep as much room in front of me as possible (except for those people that speed past you and cut you off just to hit the exit 1/2 mile in front of you).
But I see you are in Florida.
Doesn't it rain there often?
Rain ruins MPG.
I'm in Southern California where we get little rain.

Also I never us my AC, and move like a snail when I'm in the city.

Once an old lady in a walker passed me up; then she came back and asked if I needed a push.
Hahahaha

Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
Once an old lady in a walker passed me up; then she came back and asked if I needed a push.
Okay, that might be some if it, as I don't go QUITE that slow. I'm usually in the right lane at 57 to 61 mph range. Sometimes slower (due to traffic, or behind a truck if my time permits), sometimes faster if in the HOV lane due to stopped traffic on the regular lanes. Fastest I'll go (HOV) is about 67, but that's RARE.

Still, it's strange that we're driving ALMOST the same (53 vs. 59 avg) and you get 8 mpg better than me. I drive the 91 fwy under identical conditions to you (flat, except for overpass rises). Wanna swap cars for a day?!!

What do you have your tires at? (I'm at 40psi) How many miles total (I'm around 3,000 now)?

Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM

My tires are at 40 and I have about 5000 miles, so mine is more broken in.
MPG drops very quickly as speed goes up.

Set your CC for 53 for half of a tank and see what happens.
Sorry, I'm not willing to set mine to 59.

I see you are in Anehiem Hills.

Hills kill mpg very fast too.

Last edited by kenny; 06-08-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

It has been unusually dry here in Florida over the past month, we get to deal with wild fires.

I have no touched the pressure in my tires, and I just passed 4200 miles on the odo. I saw a significant improvement in mileage over the last 1000 miles. Break-in is key to much better mileage.

Oh, and I can count the number of times I've used AC on two hands.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by JJanney
Break-in is key to much better mileage.
Do you mean everyone has to drive a certain number of miles before the car gets better MPG, or do you mean if you drive it especially carefully during the break in period it will end up with better MPG than another car that was broken in less carefully?

Old 06-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I could not make the second claim, as I do not know how people have broken theirs in; but I have noticed an increased efficiency as my mileage has risen (especially since 3000 miles).

Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

A person has an advantage over cruise control. A person can anticipate. Any decent driver using the "DWL" technique will destroy what a cruise control can do. Cruise does not hurt much on flat land so if it is flat it may not be worth the effort to drive yourself.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by lakedude
Cruise does not hurt much on flat land so if it is flat it may not be worth the effort to drive yourself.
My feelings exactly.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Do not get me wrong, I am not speaking out against cruise control. I have not used it any any of the vehicles I have ever owned. I just like being in total control.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
I see you are in Anehiem Hills. Hills kill mpg very fast too.
Indeed! I battle them every day. I guess my 51.7 isn't that bad, considering I'm atop a 1.7 mile 9% grade! My comments generally refer to the other 20 miles of flat driving on the 91 fwy to Cerritos.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control and MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands