Cruise Control and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Cruise Control and MPG

I was just wondering whether the best MPG is achieved using cruise control. My best mileage was achieved with cruise control on, this was on a return trip from Ottawa to Syracuse (63MPG). So I was wonder if I had cruise off, though I would have slowed down on the upward hills perhaps I could have done better, than having the cruise maintaining a constant speed of 57MPH.

Though I have only had my HCH-II for 2 months it seems my best mileage is achieved between 57 and 60 MPH.

I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia in July, 900 miles each way, and want to beat my 63MPG record.

Any suggestions

Old 06-08-2006, 08:03 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Cruise Control and MPG

I can get better MPG with my right foot than with cruise and that's without any FAS's or P&G's. A good tank with heavy use of CC will net me around 55 mpg. A good tank without using CC will net me close to 60.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have a lifetime average of 60.6 MPG.

I use CC almost all the time unless I'm in city surface streets or going on hills.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kenny
I have a lifetime average of 60.6 MPG.

I use CC almost all the time unless I'm in city surface streets or going on hills.
Kenny, what speeds do you average? What type of terrain and is the length of your commute? Just wondering, because I'm struggling to get 52 mpg. I've tried cruise for a few weeks (58 mph avg) and I got around 48 mpg. I'm doing a little better without cruise (mostly level commute). I cannot fathom getting in the 60's (mpg) with my car. It just seems impossible!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

I average about 55-60 MPG at 60-65 MPH on the mostly flat highways here in Florida with my right foot only. Cruise control just doesn't cut it for me.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

I seem to average 5 mpg less with using cruise control than without. Main issue is that going up hill the rpm goes much higher with the cruise than when I simply adjust with my own foot pressure.

Still trying to get over 50 mpg (at the pump) though. I don't know how people get it up into the 60's. About 10k miles so far.

My highest "average mileage" has been 76 mpg, and the worst around 35 mpg for short distances.

Bob

Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

Flat ground using cruise control at about 35-40 mph gets me about 70-75 mpg However, it's tough to get those conditions for a full tank

Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 AM

I go about 53 MPH in the right lane and maintain a TON of space in front of me.

I use my brakes about 2% as often as the average freeway driver.

My commute is 18 miles each way and is flat, with very slight inclines as the 405 freeway passes over roads.

I even use the CC buttons to very slowly return my car up to speed when I do have to slow below 53.

Last edited by kenny; 06-08-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

I have tried both cruise and the pedal on my daily commute of 30 miles each way ,cruise often kills my mpg as it tries to maintain the speed in the uphill with about 4k rpm ..... which apparently kills my MPG.So it is better to use pedal for short travel and cruise for long distance,as long distance will not make much difference whether u use CC or pedal..The highest MPG i acheived for a tank is 53.14 which was last week. I am happy about that.I really wonder about some of the guys get around 60mph.I like to be in that boat.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
I go about 53 MPH in the right lane and maintain a TON of space in front of me.

I use my brakes about 2% as often as the average freeway driver.

My commute is 18 miles each way and is flat, with very slight inclines as the 405 freeway passes over roads.

I even use the CC buttons to very slowly return my car up to speed when I do have to slow below 53.
I follow this exact same routine, except my average speed is 63 MPH, in the slow lane. I keep as much room in front of me as possible (except for those people that speed past you and cut you off just to hit the exit 1/2 mile in front of you).

Quick Reply: Cruise Control and MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands