A couple of observations between '04 and '06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default A couple of observations between '04 and '06 HCH

I picked up my '06 last Saturday after trading my '04, my daily commute is short, about 12 miles round trip. Today was the first time I drove it for an extended period as I ran errands, there are a couple of differences I noticed between my '04 and '06:

After a full stop, the auto stop feature will activate, when I crept forward at a light (at about 1 or 2 mph), to make a right on red, the auto stop reactivated. This is definitely a great feature, in my '04, I would make sure not to let off the brake until I was sure that I could get up to 10 mph so the auto stop would engage.

The MPG calculation seems to work differently. The '06 calculation/recalculation seems to be more frequent, almost "real time". For example my MPG went from 35.5 to 50.8 in a 4 mile stretch, with 65+ miles on the tank of gas. With the '04 the more miles that are on the tank the MPG calcs/recals wouldn't be as drastic. In my estimation, with the same 65+ miles on the tank, the '04 MPG would have increased from 35.5 to 40.8 in the same 4 mile stretch.

I'm certain as time goes on that I will learn more, but so far I found those 2 items of interest.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A couple of observations between '04 and '06 HCH

Did you find that the avg FE display on the 06 increments by .3 and .4 mpg like the 2004, or does it have better resolution now?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:09 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: A couple of observations between '04 and '06 HCH

Hi Renato;

Say thanks for the info. on the differences between the 04 and 06 Hybrids.

Questions?

(1) What is your opinion about the Power between the Two?

(2) What about the Interior Sound Level? Meaning How Quite Inside?

(3) Can you tell any Difference between the CVT in the 06 Versus the 04?

(4) How about the Auto Climate Control? What do you think of it?

(5) Do you like the New Gauge Package in the 06?

(6) In your opinion, do you think the Seats are better in the 06?

(7) Did you get any Options at all on your 06?

(8) Have you gotten it out on the Interstate yet? If so how Fast?

I've got the time to read your Comments if you have the time to (Give-Them).

Waiting on 06 HCH II;

Terry

BTW; If you want to take the time to do some bragging here on this Thread, have at it. That's what it is here for, is information to members. If you can think of anything else to compare between the 04 and 06, Please Post your Comparisions, I owned a 2003 HCH I, so I'm Interested.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Renato
The MPG calculation seems to work differently. The '06 calculation/recalculation seems to be more frequent, almost "real time". For example my MPG went from 35.5 to 50.8 in a 4 mile stretch, with 65+ miles on the tank of gas. With the '04 the more miles that are on the tank the MPG calcs/recals wouldn't be as drastic. In my estimation, with the same 65+ miles on the tank, the '04 MPG would have increased from 35.5 to 40.8 in the same 4 mile stretch.

You definitely have the 63 mile reset bug. There is no way a correct calculation of MPG can change from 35.5 to 50.8 over a 4 mile stretch after you have 65 miles on the trip odometer. As many of us (not all) have experienced the MPG calculation is reset every 63 miles, even though the trip odometer keeps counting. We hope that eventually Honda will issue a recall and correct those cars that have the problem.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply. I will do my best to answer your questions in the order of your post:

1. As for power...I haven't really gotten on it yet, it's supposed to be better. The GM at the dealership assumed that it was the main reason I was trading in an 18 month old car.
2. The interior noise level in the '06 is definitely quieter. It seems better insulated. I think it's a step towards a luxury feel.
3. I don't notice any difference in the CVT in the '06 compared to the '04.
4. The updated climate control is nice, I like the digital thermostat and the LCD read out, again a step towards luxury feel. One thing that I miss from the '04 is the economy button, I used it as a indicator as to when the auto stop feature would work.
5. I love the gauge package. It is very futuristic looking and I like the fact that the speedo and, particularly, the fuel efficiency readout is like a heads up display, right below the windshield, I don't have to look down to check out how I'm doing....I could keep my eyes on the road. The one thing that it doesn't have that I would like is a temperature gauge....otherwise its' function matches its' form.
6. I'm a fairly small guy, about 5'5'', so I found both the '04 and the '06 seats comfortable. The '06 just seems generally larger, I will touch upon that...
7. The only option I got was the Navi, I held off on the ipod unit (because of the gidzmo review) and I'm not sold on satellite radio. The Navi system is very cool...I am still learning my way around it, and I'm sure it will prove itself useful. Not a necessity for me...just a toy.
8. I was on the highway on the way home from the dealership, only for about 5 miles, so nothing long distance.

In general, I love this car. It has more of a luxury feel, and it just "feels" larger, I even found my self being extra careful in tight spaces. Ride-wise, I always said my '04 handled like a slot car...the '06 has a softer more comfortable feel. The exterior styling is cool...the roofline reminds me of an Acura TL, and I especially like the turn indicators on the mirror.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
Did you find that the avg FE display on the 06 increments by .3 and .4 mpg like the 2004, or does it have better resolution now?
The FE display on the '06 will do increments of .1 a definite improvement.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Alright, I pushed the "post reply" button too quickly. I have just a couple of more things to add.

The audio controls on the steering wheel proved to be useful. I no longer reach over to the center of the dash to adjust the stereo volume or change the station.

The brake pedal is much firmer on the '06, also very sensitive.

The steering wheel is smaller and not exactly round....funky...goes well with the futuristic feel of the dash.

Please note that I drove the '04 and '06 back to back as I traded. Your results may vary.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Renato
The FE display on the '06 will do increments of .1 a definite improvement.
Dangit! Now that's the first REALLY compelling reason to upgrade to the 06 that I've heard so far. Cool for you I guess. :-)

Old 02-16-2006, 04:53 AM

Tiger
I have an 04 (which is now for sale) and I bought my 06 last month so I'll answer too.

(1) What is your opinion about the Power between the Two?
I have no idea since I always drive for MPG.

(2) What about the Interior Sound Level? Meaning How Quite Inside?
The 06 is MUCH more quiet; the suspension is better too so it feels smoother which makes it seem even more quiet.

(3) Can you tell any Difference between the CVT in the 06 Versus the 04?
No

(4) How about the Auto Climate Control? What do you think of it?
I never use it on my 04 or my 06.
I don't like the idea of my car thinking for me.
I think quite well, thank you.

(5) Do you like the New Gauge Package in the 06?
Overall yes, but I do not like the toggle features for engine temp vs. MPG, and the single button for fan direction.
Just give me more readouts please.
I like everything to be alwasy visible and prefer one button for one function.
I don't like to have to press a button several times and then have to watch the read-out on the dash and pay attention to the changing function.
I wish they had kept it like the 04 which had one **** with several positions with icons describing the direction of air flow.

(6) In your opinion, do you think the Seats are better in the 06?
YES, much better.
Stronger and firm yet softer, much better fabric.

(7) Did you get any Options at all on your 06?
No

(8) Have you gotten it out on the Interstate yet? If so how Fast?
I have no clue since I always dirve for MPG.

BTW I think Honda made the 06 Civics an order of magnitude nicer because it will soon no longer be their cheapest car since the Honda Fit is due soon.

The 2006 Civic Hybrid is the most near-perfect car I have ever owned, or known!
If this car had an MSRP of $30,000 I would have still bought it and thought it was a bargain.

Last edited by kenny; 02-16-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

Renato,

I just checked Honda site for the Civic hybrid features. http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...e=Civic+Hybrid
The exterior temp. should be displayed at a model with navi equiped.
I need this info so much that it may stop me from buying it...Please confirm since you do have the Navi.

Quick Reply: A couple of observations between '04 and '06 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands