Civic Hybrid IMA failure - Bad Power Inverter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Civic Hybrid IMA failure - Bad Power Inverter

Originally Posted by jkichline2001
Found the problem! I finally decided to take it apart and look further... it’s a blown IGBT

In other news, I was able to find a salvaged part (1B200-RW0-000) from Rochester NY for $325 from a car with 19k miles. i probably made about 20 calls until I finally found someone who had one. I hope to have that tomorrow. In the mean time I will search for replacement IGBTs. Then, with any luck, I’ll have a spare

update... here’s better pics of blown IGBT. Looked for a couple hours trying to find replacement part but it appears to be a custom Honda part. I think Mitsubishi makes the original part similar to PN CT600DJH060 but I can’t figure out how to buy new ones...

There is a publication here with a lot of info. Towards the end of the publication, they mention the J-Series which looks a lot like the part from the inverter.
https://www.mitsubishielectric.com/e...3_complete.pdf
can anybody show me I have a video on how to de-solder since I can’t open it but middle transistor looks inflated so blown

Old 03-10-2023, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

TO: Anyone with a 2012 Civic Hybrid in America getting this inverter problem.

American Honda issued a warranty extension for this problem December 18, 2020. Partial text follows.
Today, December 18, 2020, American Honda is announcing a warranty extension for certain 2012-2015
Civic Hybrid vehicles. This warranty extension covers the intelligent inverter unit (IIU) to address
possible concerns of various warning lights turning on and diminishing electric motor power, braking or
steering assistance control. American Honda is extending the warranty coverage of the IIU to 15 years
from the original date of purchase or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
I had this problem before they issued the warranty extension, and had it fixed at the local Honda dealership. I submitted paperwork after the warranty extension receiving full reimbursement. If you are within the warranty extension, save yourself a lot of work. Get it fixed by the dealer for free. If you are unsure whether your particular vehicle falls under this extension, use the internet to find out by entering your VIN. You can also contact your local Honda dealer to have them verify.

I stumbled on this looking for information on a different problem. I hope someone is able to benefit from this information.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

Hallo my friend
i have problems with my 2014 civic hybrid in inverter the igbt right one has burned
i red som body change it to another kind dos that works???
and which kind did he change to ???
thank you

Old 06-04-2023, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alexeevd
Hi,who have 1 or 2 pcs for sale?in good condition,I bought Mitsubishi CT600DJH060 transistors,they don't fit,so be carefull.
are you sure they did not work???

Old 11-17-2023, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Civic Hybrid IMA failure - Bad Power Inverter

FREE REPLACEMNET OF INTELLIGENT INVERTUNIT AND MOTOR POWER INVERTER MPI FOR HONDA CIVIC HYBRID 2012, 2013, 2014 AND 2015,

Warranty was extended on 18 Dec 2020 for 2012-15 Civic Hybrid Intelligent Inverter Unit and 2012-15 Civic Hybrid IMA Motor Power Inverter (MPI) has been posted to the Service Information System (SIS) as of December 18, 2020. It includes parts, repair, and warranty information related to this campaign.

Please call your closest Honda dealer and get it free replaced, If you mileage are less than 150,000 here is a link of nhtsa.gov website and following is the notice,

static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185042-0001.pdf

DATE: December 18, 2020
TO: All Honda Sales, Service & Parts Managers, and Personnel
FROM: Brad Ortloff, Manager Auto Campaign Administration Dept.
Re: Warranty Extension: 2012-15 Civic Hybrid Intelligent Inverter Unit
Today, December 18, 2020, American Honda is announcing a warranty extension for certain 2012-2015 Civic Hybrid vehicles. This warranty extension covers the intelligent inverter unit (IIU) to address possible concerns of various warning lights turning on and diminishing electric motor power, braking or steering assistance control. American Honda is extending the warranty coverage of the IIU to 15 years from the original date of purchase or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
BACKGROUND
Micro voids may begin to form in the soldering material used during the IIU producƟon process, which over Ɵme may lead to a physical break in a solder joint on the circuit board. A solder joint break may cause an open or short circuit within the IIU, deacƟvaƟng certain IMA funcƟons. This failure may also result in illumination of the 12V battery warning light and decreased power supply to the 12V battery, which may lead to a series of system malfunctions.
REPAIR Replace the IIU.
PARTS Parts are available through normal ordering.
TOOLS There are no special tools needed for this campaign.
SERVICE BULLETIN Service bulletin 20-030, Warranty Extension: 2012-15 Civic Hybrid IMA Motor Power Inverter (MPI) has been posted to the Service Information System (SIS) as of December 18, 2020. It includes parts, repair, and warranty information related to this campaign.
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION American Honda expects to begin customer notificaƟon in early February 2021. As always, be sure to do an iN VIN status inquiry to determine if a particular vehicle is eligible for this or any other campaigns

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10185042-0001.pdf (107.6 KB, 50 views)