Changing it up

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Changing it up

Normally I get between 42-46mpg with my civic, this time around I hope I get a solid 47-48mpg driving the same way I did. Why should I expect this? This is what I have added

K&N HP-1010 Oil Filter
Mobil 1 96995 Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil
K/N Air Filter

I can change my oil and filter for $5 less in price and dealer does not use K/N Filters.Also they only use regular OW-20, not synthetic, and I know with synthetic you get slightly better fuel economy, so with the trio I have added do you guys think I can achieve my goal?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing it up

I don't think your FE will change. H

Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
I don't think your FE will change. H
Why not better parts and components. How will that not help in FE? If I Hyper Mile without these additions I could get 50.3 mpg out of a tank, now as a regular driver getting 42mp, and adding better parts, I am not going to see any improvement.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Who makes the oil for Honda? Mobile 1 is good however. and lots have tried the K&N without success. H

Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 PM

The synthetic oil may help, reducing friction a bit. I'm going to synthetic oil for my next oil change, and am curious to see how it goes. My hunch is the synthetic will have a very slight (possibly not measurable) improvement on mileage, and a more significant improvement to cold start smoothness, ie: the engine will be happier. It might also tend to stay cleaner: blow-by gasses, exhaust recirc. etcetera. But I don't see how an aftermarket oil filter is going to do a thing for your mileage.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 04-08-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
The synthetic oil may help, reducing friction a bit. I'm going to synthetic oil for my next oil change, and am curious to see how it goes. But I don't see how an aftermarket oil filter is going to do a thing for your mileage.
What about the K&N Air Filter?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 PM

I would stay with the stock filter, or a repuatable regular (ie, not requiring periodic oiling) filter that is compatible (identical shape).

I really don't see the point to K&N air filters: there's a possibility of a slight improvement in air flow, and a much greater possibility of reduced flow or particulate getting into the engine, depending on wether you over or under oil the filter.

BTW, did you feel that recent quake?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

Just the tremors, not the actual one.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 AM

Hey Mendel;
I picked up 3 ltr.'s of Pensoil 0-20 syn. for next oil change. I have been told that Honda 0-20 is made by Mobile for Honda? H

Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
I would stay with the stock filter, or a repuatable regular (ie, not requiring periodic oiling) filter that is compatible (identical shape).

I really don't see the point to K&N air filters: there's a possibility of a slight improvement in air flow, and a much greater possibility of reduced flow or particulate getting into the engine, depending on wether you over or under oil the filter.

BTW, did you feel that recent quake?
Please excuse my ignorance, but isn't a k&n oil filter a reputable one?

Quick Reply: Changing it up

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands