Can I "unprotect" a WMA file?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Can I "unprotect" a WMA file?

I just copied a bunch of music files onto my Compact Flash card. After putting the card into my Civic's PC Card port, some songs worked, some didn't. I've determined that the ones that don't work are ones that I've downloaded through Window's Media Player. They have "Protected Content" under the "License" tab when you open the Properties. I assume that means that, once copied (like to my compact flash card) they won't play.

Am I right about the problem?

Any way around it?

These are CDs that I've paid for, not stolen. I bought them through the proper media player channels. I just didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to copy them. Any help?

Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I "unprotect" a WMA file?

Nevermind...I figured it out. It's actually quite simple.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoebox303
Nevermind...I figured it out. It's actually quite simple.
Jordan,

Why don't you post the solution so others know how to.

thanks,

Mike

Old 07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good idea...

I'm not sure my way is the best way, but it worked! I simply burned the protected WMA files onto a disc using Window's Media Player. Then, I ripped the files back into Window's Media Player. BUT BEFORE RIPPING, I clicked Tools->Options->Rip Music. Then, I changed the format to Mp3 format and created a folder to save the new Mp3's in. Once they're ripped back onto your computer, they're no longer protected. You can add them to your flash media (or what have you) with no problems.

A couple of things:
1. If you prefer WMA format, you can click on the files (after importing them as Mp3s) and click "Convert Audio Format". The program will direct you through the process.
2. All of my CDs were downloaded legally, so licenses were automatically created for them. I'm not sure if this method would work with an illegally downloaded CD. Not that any of us would do that anyway...
3. Make sure you are aware of the size of the file as you burn/rip/burn, etc. The first time I did it, I accidentally changed 1.9 GB of WMAs into 3.7 GB of Mp3s. Not good when you have a 2GB Compact Flash Card!

Good luck! Let me know if anyone needs more guidance!

Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

try tunebite.com. Easier, better quality than burning/ripping