Bumping/knocking feeling/sound on autostop

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Bumping/knocking feeling/sound on autostop

Occasionally I hear/feel a bumping/knocking noise when the Autostop kicks in on my used HCH 2003. At first I thought it was the braking, however, when the Autostop is forced off (AC on, ECON off) I don't hear this noise.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Arun

P.S. Getting 44-46 mpg with usual driving (I observe speed limits). Love it!

Old 06-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bumping/knocking feeling/sound on autostop

I don't hear anything like that in my '04 HCH. It sounds like a trip to a Honda dealer may be in order.

Sorry for the lack of help.

Billy

Old 06-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Is it CVT or MT?

Old 06-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

This may be obvious, but I've noticed the same thing on my HCH MT, when I don't put the clutch in early enough. Of course, this would happen on any MT car, regardless of whether it's a hybrid. Sorry if my reply is way off base... but my car does make a knocking sound when I don't put the clutch in at some point during the auto-stop.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

I get a knocking sound occassionally, not with autostop, but usually when I first start my car and am in reverse. I'll get the knocking sound as I brake before switching into drive. I asked about this at the dealership once and they say it is a common thing on certain Honda models. I forget the technicalities of it but it boils down to there being extra space between some parts (helpful aren't I? LOL) and that causes the knocking sound. They gave me a paper diagraming the issue, but they have no solution for it other than to insert a business card thickness piece of paper to prevent the gap. Boils down to just a quirk and nothing to be alarmed about.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:44 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

The one thing that I have found is that the MT on the HCH is a bit finicky. Maybe a better way to put it is "not as forgiving" as the MT on my previous vehicles (Nissan PU, Chevy Cavalier, Chevy Chevette, Isuzu Trooper).

I attribute (speculate) that this is because of the auto stop feature in the vehicle. If you don't press the clutch ENTIRELY down to the floor, you may find yourself with no engine (autostopped) when you release to go. You then must "double" clutch.

It has been nearly 7 years since I retired my last MT car, so I put the blame on the user. Me.