Brand new 06- and then the unthinkable happened...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Hybrid-Hugger
Default Re: Brand new 06- and then the unthinkable happened...

Thanks for the encouragement. The car is so new that the insurance company (ING) still hasn't finalized the paperwork (still covered though). So I will get a call in the next couple of days with the claims person and will probably be waiting 2-4 weeks before getting the repair (a lot of claims are coming from that storm).
But hey- my second tank and I have got 740KM (first tank, which I went through the mountains, got me 680KM). Maybe the dimples are a good thing (kinda like a golf ball).
Of course, deep down inside this is killing me- but what can you do.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Proud owner HCHII
Default As my family always say "worse things happen at sea"!

There is an unseen army of members of this forum who are quietly shedding tears for you. We all know that there but for the grace of God we could all be going! As the sedan is made in the US, body panels should be readily available. Good luck and don't settle for anything but a perfect car.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JavaJ
ok, so I have put over 1000km's on my new HCH 06 in the last week. Then yesterday, for our 10th anniversary, I decide to take my wife and girl up to Red Deer (a town between Calgary and Edmonton- makes for interesting hockey fans). Went for lunch, did a little bit of shopping when the unthinkable happened. A massive hail storm ripped through (turning the ground into a winter scene from hell- 3 - 4 inches deep of hail). I couldn't see if any damage happened to my baby (no, not my girl, my car). It had rained since and didn't stop till later today during work.
So, the rain stopped and the sun came out. A buddy at work left early, and then came back into the office to tell me the bad news. He couldn't believe what he saw- my entire car was riddled with hail dents. It almost looked like it was made that way- litterally hundreds of dents (and paint chips over the trunk, roof, and hood). I even saw dents along the sides of the car (they said funnel clouds generated and almost turned into tornado's)..

My heart sank (but thank God for insurance!). I am not sure how they could ever repair all of this to be showroom new- has anyone had this kind of experience.

But at least my family was safe and in the end, isn't that what it's all about anyways- eventually, someone will dent my door or gravel from winter will pit my finish.

I would post pictures, but the pain is to much (grin).

JavaJ from Calgary (wondering why he decided to do that darn roadtrip in the first place!)
About 2 1/2 years ago I was driving on the freeway with my family and got stuck in a huge hail storm on I-35 in Dallas. My 2000 Accord was covered with dents, like you descirbe, and the front and back windsheild were ruined. Make sure the insurance company replaces all the sheet metal possible (as opposed to trying to repair the dents). After about 4 weeks and $7000 of repairs, my car looked good as new. But, needless to say, the whole experience was VERY scary...especially as the windows were cracking during the storm!

Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yikes! How horrible! You definitely have our sympathies, and I hope that you get it all straightened out with the insurance. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

Hi all,
Thanks for all the kind words. Well, I finally got the adjustor to look at the damage. The entire roof, hood and trunk have to be replaced (kicker- the roof has to be ordered in from Japan- because it is a Hybrid-only piece due to the antenna). FYI- for those interested- the roof cost is 527.00 CDN, hood 641.00 CDN, black strips on roof edging- 58.0CDN each, trunk- 494.00CDN. In total, the final bill comes in at $7500 CDN for the hail repair.
I am only out $250 and will be without my HCH for a month (yet can't get in until January earliest- unbelievable).
If I can hold them off, I could have a new body job for next spring (so at least my car will look showroom new next year).
Thanks again for the kind words and God Bless insurance.
Jason from Calgary

Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,
Thanks for all the kind words. Well, I finally got the adjustor to look at the damage. The entire roof, hood and trunk have to be replaced (kicker- the roof has to be ordered in from Japan- because it is a Hybrid-only piece due to the antenna). FYI- for those interested- the roof cost is 527.00 CDN, hood 641.00 CDN, black strips on roof edging- 58.0CDN each, trunk- 494.00CDN. In total, the final bill comes in at $7500 CDN for the hail repair.
I am only out $250 and will be without my HCH for a month (yet can't get in until January earliest- unbelievable).
If I can hold them off, I could have a new body job for next spring (so at least my car will look showroom new next year).
Thanks again for the kind words and God Bless insurance.
Jason from Calgary

Thats Great!!
Glad it is all working out!! And the cost is not to bad either...especially with a $250.00 dedutable! ;-) I guess that does include paint as well? (make sure it is a Perfect match!)
That will be a Great Feeling when you get it fixed!! I hope the 'Loner' you get will be a Hybrid also! Insist on It!!

Now, try to figure out what to do for the next Hailstorm...any kind of special HailStrom Car Covers? Pop-up Hail Storm Tent?LOL

BTW, do you have any pictures of you car with the hail damage?

TakeCare,
PPD

Old 04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

Hi all, just adding to my original thread.
At the end of this month, I am taking my car in for repair. I wanted to wait until winter was over (and more importantly, no gravel on the roads). So, I will be out of the Hybrid scene for 3-4 weeks as they "hopefully" bring my baby back to new.
My rental options are a Pontiac G6 or a Chevy Malibu.
Needless to say, I will be a very sad driver for the next month. I am already worried how I will handle filling up every week (this might be a good test to see if my hypermiling skills can help with regular cars).

Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Just hang in there !

I bet when you get it back you'll be ready to forget the U-drive for good.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

On a lighter note maybe all the dents help FE. Kind of like a golf ball effect J/K, good luck getting it fixed.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

Well all, my car is in for the month long repair. I have spent about 20 minutes in the 07 Malibu. And I must admit, I am shocked at my attitude towards GM vehicles. I am not treating them bad enough- what a horrible ride. Bad interior design. The doors are so lightweight and cheap compared to the HCHII. I am so sad and depressed- I WANT ME CIVIC BACK!!!!!
Only 29 days to go. Wish me luck.
J

Quick Reply: Brand new 06- and then the unthinkable happened...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands