Brand new 06- and then the unthinkable happened...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Hybrid-Hugger
Default Brand new 06- and then the unthinkable happened...

ok, so I have put over 1000km's on my new HCH 06 in the last week. Then yesterday, for our 10th anniversary, I decide to take my wife and girl up to Red Deer (a town between Calgary and Edmonton- makes for interesting hockey fans). Went for lunch, did a little bit of shopping when the unthinkable happened. A massive hail storm ripped through (turning the ground into a winter scene from hell- 3 - 4 inches deep of hail). I couldn't see if any damage happened to my baby (no, not my girl, my car). It had rained since and didn't stop till later today during work.
So, the rain stopped and the sun came out. A buddy at work left early, and then came back into the office to tell me the bad news. He couldn't believe what he saw- my entire car was riddled with hail dents. It almost looked like it was made that way- litterally hundreds of dents (and paint chips over the trunk, roof, and hood). I even saw dents along the sides of the car (they said funnel clouds generated and almost turned into tornado's)..

My heart sank (but thank God for insurance!). I am not sure how they could ever repair all of this to be showroom new- has anyone had this kind of experience.

But at least my family was safe and in the end, isn't that what it's all about anyways- eventually, someone will dent my door or gravel from winter will pit my finish.

I would post pictures, but the pain is to much (grin).

JavaJ from Calgary (wondering why he decided to do that darn roadtrip in the first place!)

Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Default Re: Brand new 06- and then the unthinkable happened...

I only have about 10 hail dents on my car and it annoys me. I can't imagine the damge you are talking about. I'd probably be so depressed I'd sell the car.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

Now I fill better about the little 'Ding' I got on my hood the first couple of weeks!LOL
Like they say...the first ding is the hardest,LOL

But you are Right...family first (and Thank God you all were Ok)...that IS what it's ALL about!
Hopefully the Insurance company will take care of things. What would be really nice if Honda Corp. would buy it back or exchange it with a brand new one so they can research what happens to their vehicles in a Hail storm.

Anyways let us know what happens...It Will All Work-Out!
T/C
PPD

Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

JavaJ, I know this isn't going to make you feel much better but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Let us know how they are able to repair all that?

Old 08-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My grandfather had this happen to a brand new Caddy in the early 90s...hail storm ripped through Houston and absolutely trashed it. Insurance just threw up their hands and totalled it. Seems a waste, but I guess that's how it works sometimes. I hope that's not the case with yours, because it's not like you can just go and grab a new one the next day!

Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Vegetarian

Wow, that SUCKS! I don't know what I would do. Hope you can get it taken care of.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

The night of the day that I took my HCHII out for a test drive a thunderstorm with hail came through the area. The next day I call the salesman and told him I would only take the car if there was no hail damage. Fortunately, this dealership keeps most of their new cars in covered storage and mine was returned to storage before the storm hit.

Mark

Old 08-12-2006, 04:02 PM

Back in '92 a storm dumped hail up to baseball size in Arlington, Texas. Lots of brand-new cars at dealerships had to be given up for dead, while many others were unloaded weeks later at "hail sales" for massive discounts. Our home's roof had to be replaced thanks to that storm -- and we were among the lucky ones (both our cars were in the garage).

Old 08-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sorry to hear about the hail damage to your new car. We also had nasty hail here in Winnipeg and many vehicles will be filing insurance claims over the following weeks as well. Fortunately, I've been keeping my vehicle in the garage and in the covered parkade and weaseling my way out of the hail damage.

I recommend you choose a good shop in Calgary to make the repairs. I know for a fact that some shops don't even pull the dents and just use filler. Later this could be a problem.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-13-2006, 04:58 PM

Right after I got my '04 there was a storm here and a tree fell on mine. I am glad you are ok and I am sure you will get it repaired like new.

Quick Reply: Brand new 06- and then the unthinkable happened...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands