Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

Does anyone know the true cost for a HCH battery replacement. My dealer told me around 3K and I've seen similar figures on the web.

I know a few people who are interested in purchasing a Civic Hybrid but they are convinced that the battery replacement will ruin the resale value.

Also have a friend who's dealer told him they have to take the whole car apart to replace the battery -- I don't believe it -- but I don't have a service manual and can't find any good info.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Old 05-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Site Founder

I don't know about the Civic battery, but from my experience with the Prius I can probably give you a general idea.

If one were to replace the battery _today_ it would likely be a couple to 3 thousand. However, by the time most people get to 100 or 150k miles (the minimum before it would need to be replaced), the price of the battery will go down. I don't know where the Civic's battery is located, but in the Prius it's a simple matter of lifting up the bottom of the trunk. It takes 2 seconds.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The Civic's battery is located behind the rear seat.
This encloses most of the electronics as well as the battery.
I don't see any reason someone would have to "take the whole car apart."
A few secrews & bolts perhaps but not all apart.

Honda backs up the battery.
Std. honda warranty is 3yr/36K B2B and 5yr/70K on the battery.
I bought the max extended warranty which covers 7ry/100K B2B
and 150K on the battery.
Also dealed free tires and oil changes as long as I own the car.
Thanks
Steve

Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Replacement

Does anyone know if there is a battery repair location in Georgia? I know there is one in New York. But was wondering if there was one in Georgia or south carolina?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 225000 miles. With a somewhat failling IMA battery.

Any suggestion on good battery replacement that is less expensive than the dealer's $2600.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM

That is the highest miles I have seen for a 2006.I would not change it until it failed completely. But I have heard of some getting them for as low as $1500, so shop around. H

Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 PM

I've got the Service Manual, and have looked at replacement procedure. It's not complicated, I would guess about an hour's labour.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Think green.

If you google "hybrid battery repair" you should see the links to a couple of places that repair failing hybrid batteries. One is located in Staten Island, NY and the other in Phoenix, AZ. There are probably others that I haven't heard of yet.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbedard
Hi,

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 225000 miles. With a somewhat failling IMA battery.

Any suggestion on good battery replacement that is less expensive than the dealer's $2600.
Here is a thread from Edmunds on a replacement option. Unclear if it is doable.

If you need a new pack, try rebuilding it with the Headway cells that I mentioned. You can get them from EVcomponents for $19/cell. In order to access the battery, you need to remove the entire rear seat (which is probably why the technicians are very reluctant to service hybrids properly). You'll need 50 headway cells in series. You can go for the regular cells at 10AH. Total cost without shipping: $950!!!. If you need any help I have the service manual for the 06-09 HCH.

* digg
* delicious
* stumbleupon
* netscape
* addthis

Replies to this message:

* Ogre_GEV (Aug 10, 2010 11:45 am)
o jack000 (Aug 11, 2010 9:20 am)

#434 of 449

Re: Battery "Recal" Problems [jack000] by Ogre_GEV

Aug 10, 2010 (11:45 am)

Replying to: jack000 (Aug 10, 2010 8:21 am)

So where have you gotten a BMS computer to use with these lithium cells? 2006+ Civics are expecting 132 NiMH cells in 11 packs of 12 cells each. In order to switch to lithium, you would have to replace the MDM with a custom one that could interface to the stock ECM. The stock computer can't charge or balance lithium batteries.

For that matter, how are you welding the cells together? Solder will flow at the 100 amp draw that is 20 bars of assist so they have to be welded

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast

Hi
I have a 2010 Honda Insight EX
And I am curious is it possible to have two IMA sets of batteries
to increase amperage and balance the weight, Sort of double IMA horse power.
If so this would be an upgrade and who would do such an upgrade.
I have also noticed during acceleration that gas mileage is low like twenty five miles per gallon, you would think that the assist from the motor would increase the mileage and the idling gas engine would do some recharging.
Is this the best they could do or did they do better than had to dial it down to reduce costs and stay with in a set guideline of acceptance.
They say the IMA motor is indestructible, if so than a programing twik (change the amperage limit to conserve battery life could be changed) with a battery addition (two batteries) should increase performance and mileage.
Hey it's just a thought I have been on this electric car kick for thirty years or so and have some interesting ideas on the subject.
Superconductors liquid helium this was thirty years ago.
And it's not new if fact it is WWII old that's were the super comes in.
Information technology or IT is the easiest way to make money.
How many cars are hybrid and how many cars want 80 miles per gallon at 70 mph.
Second battery plus program change and labor = big bucks when the price of fuel goes to $10.00 a gallon that would be priceless.

Mark

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands