Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Originally Posted by Lansing
So what happens when the stickers run out? Any govmint details yet? Does my car see an automatic bump in value (at least until the HOV access expires, assuming it does)....????

Lansing
One dealer tried to sell me a 2005 Civic Hybrid that had an HOV sticker applied and $6,500 miles on it for what was $1,890 above the MSRP on a new 2006 Civic Hybrid. If that's any indication, I'd say as long as there's an HOV sticker to be had, the deman will be there. Just my observation.

Read: http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/05/17/...cnn_topstories

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 05-18-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lansing
So what happens when the stickers run out? Any govmint details yet? Does my car see an automatic bump in value (at least until the HOV access expires, assuming it does)....????

Lansing
My question would be is the sticker transfered with the title?

Or is the sticker transfered seperatly ? and is it transferable?

If it is transferable then I would guess the car would be worth much more!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grounded
My question would be is the sticker transfered with the title?

Or is the sticker transfered seperatly ? and is it transferable?

If it is transferable then I would guess the car would be worth much more!

Transferable or not, the new owner isn't likely to scrape the stickers off... and the police aren't likely to pull over a qualified hybrid with the proper stickers JUST to inspect the registration supplemental form (NOTE: they might pull you over by ignorance or accident, as has been reported in other posts!). I would think most used HCH purchasers would just take their chances and leave those stickers on there!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:23 AM

The sticker has a serial number.
That number is married to the VIN of the car.

They also mail you a form you are supposed to keep with your registration that proves that sticker goes with that car.

If you sell the car the sticker has to go with it.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
The sticker has a serial number.
That number is married to the VIN of the car.

They also mail you a form you are supposed to keep with your registration that proves that sticker goes with that car.

If you sell the car the sticker has to go with it.
Yes, the sticker belongs to the car. It can't be scraped off and transfered to another car, physically or legally.

The certificate also has the owner's name on it. So if the vehicle is sold it's not obvious that the new owner has a legal right to use the stickers. But I would be inclined to say that he does, as long as he gets the certificate from the seller and keeps it in the car.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

it's gonna expire in 2008 and dont think they will renew them... but you never know.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by masgian
it's gonna expire in 2008 and dont think they will renew them... but you never know.
I hope not (no offense) but I think it would be very unfair to the other people who purchased a qualifying hybrid but not in time to qualify for a sticker. By 2008, there will probly be 80,000 more hybrids on the street (if not more), it would be very unfair to allow the early adopters an extended privilige while the tens of thousands of late-comers don't reap any benefits.

Its great that their doing it now, its great that it'll last through 2007, but it will be unfair to extend it unless they amend the program to all the newer qualifying hybrid owners at the same time.

But I doubt it'll be extended (pure speculation) due to lack of benefits to society and the freeways, if every qualifying hybrid can travel the carpool lane with single occupant, then the carpool lane at some point will lose its utility.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 05-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

OMG, I was driving in the Angeles National Forest yesterday and 2 Honda S2000's filled with 21 year old boys were racing on the mountain roads.
The first car slammed into the side of my car at about 30 mph. Now rear bumper has to be replaced on my HCH2

Has anyone else had to replace their bumper from an accident and replace the HOV stickers? Did you continue to drive in the carpool lane without stickers on the back bumper?

Oh man, and I have to commute to work in a rental with no stickers and hours of traffic here in So Cal! This stinks!

Old 05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I feel you.

Geez, I hope you are okay...you're car should be.

I have a second car that I almost NEVER drive now that I have my stickers and free access to the HOV lane here in So Cal.

If you have AAA, give them a shout. Their DMV services area is sometimes very helpful and a big time saver.

Let us know what you find out!!

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 PM

As I recall, the application form on the DMV website has checkboxes for intial application and replacement stickers. I assume the latter is for bumper replacements and sticker theft.

As an alternative, you might try to remove the original stickers. They're made of that plastic foil stuff which rips very easily (theft deterrent?)... but if you use some 3M adhesive remover and take a LOT of time, you might just be successful. Ask your bodyshop to give you the junk bumper... or ask to borrow it so you can remove the stickers.

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands