Any HCH owners here that are cyclists???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Any HCH owners here that are cyclists???

Hi I just test drove on Friday the Insight and the HCH. I wanted to like the Insight, but I felt more comfortable in the HCH. So my question is does anyone know if a road bike will fit in the trunk of the HCH? The seats don't fold down and I don't really want to install a roof rack that would decrease my MPG. This could be a deal breaker for me!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any HCH owners here that are cyclists???

Yes you can fit your bike's in the trunk. Remove tires first. I installed a 1 1/4" hidden hitch on the back of my HCH2. The bike rack attaches to the that. Hal

Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

I was going to go with the hitch and hitch mount bike carrier but that would cost around $250. Instead I went with a trunk mount for around $52. I just got it so I can't speak to the practicality.

I've been hauling bikes in my 15 mpg truck so if figure the hybrid will be a huge improvement over that, wind drag or no.

http://www.allenracks.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Deluxe-3...9047350&sr=1-8

Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

I have to remove both wheels AND the seat for the bike to fit in the trunk. It's a road bike, the frame is perhaps a bit larger than MTB.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 AM

The roof rack won't kill your mpg THAT much. I didn't use one for the first year of ownership, and I started using it in my second year. When I put it on, my mileage only fell a couple of percent. The key thing here is speed. If you're driving around at city speeds (say less than 50mph), you won't notice much of an effect from having a rack with a fairing and one empty tray. Add a couple more trays, and you will see a little more of an impact so I keep my spares in the back seat in case I need to drive someone else too. With one bike on, you will take a little bit of a hit, but not too bad, and it's almost definitely going to be better than whatever you're driving now.

It takes me about 5 minutes to take my Yakima rack on/off so I take it off whenever I am driving on the highway without a bike. My second to the worst tank ever (37.2mpg) was with three downhill bikes on the roof, three guys in the car, driving into the mountains in 20 degree temps, but I don't usually see anywhere near that low--that was the perfect storm.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

My large frame road bike (66cm) will NOT fit in the trunk, even with the wheels off. Further disassembly would be required: seat, fenders, etc.

I installed tracks on the roof for a Yakima rack. Dismount easily and almost no extra wind resistance with bars off. I travel infrequently and for short distances with rack and bike on.

If you haul your bike often, a hitch rack would be best, as your paint will be spared abrasions from trunk mount, but between the hitch and the hitch carrier it's a pretty substantial investment. Aero drag will be less too.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 PM

I have a Yakima roof rack plus faring and trunk plus Kayak rack . Great system , but cost for all was just under $1000.00 Can.
My hidden hitch 1 1/4" and a three bike rack came in at $175.00 total. Much less than a roof rack system and much less hassel loading the bikes. Hal

Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

I also went with a 1 1/4" hitch. It works great. They are really simple to bolt on.