Another Hybrid MPG Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Another Hybrid MPG Thread!

Originally Posted by papajosh
This, I think, is a problem, as the guage never gets up to 60 MPG mark unless I'm coasting or stopping. When I drove it in to work tonight I couldn't get it to read over 40 while I was stepping on the gas. I guess this, more than anything, is what makes me thing something is wrong with it. However, I will give it some serious tests this weekend to see if I can get any better.
That does seem a bit unusual. You can also try another kind of reverse test - find a flat road where you can go 45 MPH (without interruption), then feather the gas back so it reads 60 MPG on the display and see if your car holds speed or slows down. That combination of 60 on the FCD, 45 mph and a flat road should allow you to hold speed. Interested to hear what you discover.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

I posted 2 weeks ago saying i was not getting good MPG, well its still bad, I am getting 35_37 MPG, i have tried all speeds and if i drive any slower in the city i will cause to many well you know what..... Its strange in the city of chicago that i have not had anything above 42 mpg in any 1 mile period, 3 tanks full now and only 966 on the clock.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hasn't it been really cold in Chicago? Could that be it.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 AM

Andrew, both myself and Wayne (xcel) would be happy to give you tips. Just let me know if you want to get together some time. Your milage isn't that far off for the cold weather we have been having.

You can figure on 1MPG per 10F. So as it warms up you will start to see beter and beter milage. Also, our winter gas is bad. That sucks away a few mpg.

I'm strugling to maintain about 41 or so MPG now, in the summer I was up around 52. That should give you an idea of the seasonal changes.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:10 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Another Hybrid MPG Thread!

Originally Posted by Andrew@vr66.com
I posted 2 weeks ago saying i was not getting good MPG, well its still bad, I am getting 35_37 MPG, i have tried all speeds and if i drive any slower in the city i will cause to many well you know what..... Its strange in the city of chicago that i have not had anything above 42 mpg in any 1 mile period, 3 tanks full now and only 966 on the clock.
Hi Andrew; If I am reading your Post correct it does not really seem to me that your (City) mileage is all that Bad. Is this your FE in City "35-37" MPG? If so and it is really cold there, I think you are probably doing okey for the Winter Months and I think the (Fuel) also has a different (Blend) for the Winter Months.

I do have one suggestion for you, take a minute and do a Post to Two of your Fellow (Chicago-GreenHybrid) Members (Tbaleno & Xcel) and ask them to meet with you and sit down and have a discussion on this FE situation. I talk to them on this Site every day and I really feel like if you do a (Post) to them they will
respond "VERY-QUICKLY".

Good-Luck

BTW; I think you will find that Tbaleno & Xcel are very stand up Guys:

HTH;

Terry

Old 12-04-2005, 11:51 AM

I see weather.com reports 28 degrees in Chicago right now (middle of the day, so this is the warmest it'll get). You get punished harshly for being cold, and you also get punished for driving in the city because the constant acceleration needed after stopping really hurts FE. Highways are most efficient with any car, even hybrids.

When you are moving, the car is usually at its most efficient between 48 and 60 mph, so driving as slowly as possible will actually lower your mileage. Formula: MPG = MPH / GPH. Below 50 mph, as you slow down, the decrease in speed (MPH) becomes greater than the decrease in fuel consumption (GPH) so your mileage goes down.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andrew@vr66.com
I can echo tbaleno almost exactly. I was up around 50-51 in the summer, and my last two tanks have been around 42. That's going from 80 degrees, sunny and clear to the 30's. I also have the luxury of a somewhat highway commute. Definitely see what the summer brings. You can take some comfort in that any car you bought would be having the same problems - 35-37 is still better than any non-hybrid alternative.