Alarm Honk

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Alarm Honk

I hate how when you press the lock button twice in succession to activate the alarm it honks the horn, especially since the horn sounds so whimpy (in relation to the whimpy horn thread). Every other car I've owned would beep instead of honking the horn. Is there any way to change this?

Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Alarm Honk

Originally Posted by HCH-Jun
I hate how when you press the lock button twice in succession to activate the alarm it honks the horn, especially since the horn sounds so whimpy (in relation to the whimpy horn thread). Every other car I've owned would beep instead of honking the horn. Is there any way to change this?
I understand that you don't need to press the LOCK button a second time.
Unless you want to verify that the doors are locked and the security system set:

...From Owner's Manual
LOCK
Press this button once to lock all doors. Some exterior lights will flash. When you push LOCK twice within 5 seconds, you will hear a beep to verify that the doors are locked. You cannot lock it if any door is not fully closed or the key is in the ignition switch.
If you push the LOCK button twice within 5 seconds, you will hear a beep to verify that the security system has set.

Last edited by Katz6768; 05-24-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast

I guess the reason why I press the lock button a second time is because I can hear the horn to verify that it's been locked. During the day sometimes I cannot see if the lights blink or not. Since I've gotten the car, people who have rode with me have not closed the doors all the way shut and when I attempt to press the lock button the second time the horn doesn't go off. This is what let me know that the car alarm wasn't activated and a door is open.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

...Every other car I've owned would beep instead of honking the horn. Is there any way to change this?
I think it is something Honda does (using the horn instead of a beep). My '03 Civic did this as did a friend's CRV.

I use it for the same reason - to "verify" it is locked. Though the horn is a little wimpy, I'm used to the "honk" instead of a "beep".

Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by geeckk
I think it is something Honda does (using the horn instead of a beep).
Must be a honda thing only because the TL I traded in and my fiance's TSX both beep when pressed the lock a second time. I guess it's considered a luxury to have a car without a wimpy sounding stock horn. I'll have to live with it.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

Must be a honda thing only because the TL I traded in and my fiance's TSX both beep when pressed the lock a second time.
My wife's Murano (Nissan) does the same thing - (horn honk for verification)

Dan

Old 05-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Our Isuzu Trooper did the same thing, but it had a separate horn for the alarm. I just stuffed a rag in there to tone it down a bit. Wouldn't want to do that with the HCH, though!

Seems the real difference between the Civic horn and the more pleasant sounding horns (on other vehicles) is the fact that the others are dual note. Wouldn't it be possible to add a second horn in the circuit on our Civics?

Of course, this won't change the issue of the alarm just beeping vs. horn honking, but at least the horn would sound better!