Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Air Filter

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Chirs:
I'm confused. Does it make your mpg better or worse?
I don't think it makes a whit of difference in either direction. It *may* make it better, but the difference versus paper is too small to justify it on that basis alone.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by noflash
The doubters argue that it's not as safe a paper filter.
Indeed. In Canada, Honda has sent word to its dealers that the presence of a K&N filter (or evidence of one) may, in specific cases, be the basis to refuse warranty fulfillment.

I know of two cases where that scenario was fully played out and the owners were left with a heavy cleanup & repair bill. Not a nice thing to have when the warranty is still in effect.

Like some say: Choice is power... So choose wisely.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Indeed. In Canada, Honda has sent word to its dealers that the presence of a K&N filter (or evidence of one) may, in specific cases, be the basis to refuse warranty fulfillment.
Yikes! I think i'll stick to the factory reccommended one! I don't think a tiny increase in FE is worth the risk.

BTW i checked my air filter WED and I don't think I will need a new one for at least a year.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I too was bamboozaled into buying a kn filter. Originally in a jeep cher 4cyl. It made fuel economy worse. Some that i told the story to offered that perhaps the increased air caused the computer to increase the fuel to the efi. Dont know the real reason, but there it is.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by msantos

I know of two cases where that scenario was fully played out and the owners were left with a heavy cleanup & repair bill. Not a nice thing to have when the warranty is still in effect.

Like some say: Choice is power... So choose wisely.

Cheers;

MSantos
I can see this being a legitimate rejection for things like the MAF sensor becoming fouled or damaged by oil. That's probably one of the least appealing aspects of K&N filters... that it's so easy to screw up that step of the cleaning process. But still, what's to stop someone from doing a quick swap back to their OEM paper filter before taking it to the shop?

You guys did save the OEM, right?