Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast
Question Air Filter

I was talking to someone the other day who has the same car as me (even the same color) - a 2006. She said that she ordered an air filter off of some web page that helps her gas milage, and is pretty great all together.

Anyone know what she was talking about and where I order one?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air Filter

I have not heard of an air filter that improves FE. It may be real, but it may be subconscious. I am curious about this though, because I will be changing my air filter eventually.

I also had a question about my air filter that I was going to start a thread about. Since it's related, I guess i'll ask the question here.
How often should one replace their air filter. I have had my HCH for about five months and have about 3000 miles on it. I wouldn't be concerned about the air filter yet (I haven't even gotten my oil changed once), but we just recently had about 6 large wildfires here in San Diego. We evacuated (in the hybrid of course) and drove around 300 miles in smoke overall. After the fires, my car smelt like an ashtray for a week or so. I think that the air filter for climate control is okay, because when I put it on full blast, it just smells like car. I was just wondering if this would have any effect on my engine air filter or oil life or anything like that.
Does anyone know if I can easily check how dirty my air filter is?

If I do need to replace my air filter soon, I sure would like one that gets me better FE (but who here wouldn't?).

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Isn't a air filter check something Honda will do when you come by for any type of service?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 AM

It's a K&N filter.

People either love it or hate it. Search for it.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe the manual says to change the air filter every 15k miles if in dusty conditions. I changed the air filter and cabin filter on the 1 year anniversary of purchasing the car (it nearly had 15k miles on it). I'll probably change them every year hence forth. With the money I'm saving on gas, I can afford to replace them once a year. I think it will help maintain the longevity and efficiency of the engine as far as the air filter is concerned.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I swapped in a K&N air filter just over a year ago. The mpg difference it made, if any, was swallowed up by my improved driving technique. It *does* accelerate a little better, but unless you've got short entrance ramps or some other reason to need that extra pop, it's not worth it.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 AM

Chirs:
I'm confused. Does it make your mpg better or worse?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 AM

The idea is that the filter flows more freely than a paper one -- increasing mileage and acceleration.

The doubters argue that it's not as safe a paper filter.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought a K&N filter. You just need to clean it once a year. They sell them at many Honda dealers so I wouldn't worry that they are "not safe".

Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM

Ha! Sungod is from New England and SunDevil if from Arizona!

Quick Reply: Air Filter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands