2006 Civic Hybrid Pricing ... I hope not!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Pricing ... I hope not!!

Originally Posted by EricGo
Michael, you wrote S&D.

Sounds more like S&M.
Lol, if that's the S&M I think you mean, then yes, it certainly was.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdamK
Challenger1,

Not sure if I should name names here but the dealership is in Fredricksburg (that narrows it down!) ... I figured that they would be more reasonable since they're kind of out in the sticks. I guess I was wrong.
Fredericksburg isn't exactly the sticks; they've got some of the worst traffic in the area. I bought my car from O'Donnell Honda in Ellicott City, MD (southwest of Baltimore, about 1 1/2 hours from Fredericksburg) and was very pleased with their service. The staff didn't put a lot of pressure on me to buy, and when I mentioned I wanted to test drive a Prius, they encouraged me to do that before I made up my mind. Considering they don't own the Toyota dealership, I was impressed that they were that confident in their product. When I couldn't find a Prius around Ellicott City, the Honda salesman even offered to call around to other dealerships to find one for me to try out!

Old 09-11-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
Welcome to Economics 101 and the law of supply and demand. The dealer is perfectly within his rights to charge whatever he thinks the market will bear. Thanks to the soaring cost of gas, demand for hybrids far exceeds supply and will do so UFN. So there's little incentive to offer discounts. Case in point: I bought my HCH on 3/31 via the Internet at a decent discount to MSRP. The next day, that dealer dropped all discounts and started charging full MSRP. And according to the salesman I worked with, hybrids are still selling like hotcakes there.

At least I was able to get an HCH. Not only did no dealer in these parts have a Prius to test-drive, they all had waiting lists as much as 9 months long. One dealer did have a 1-year-old Prius, but they wanted more for it than the new HCH I ultimately bought.

When the Mazda Miata first came out, people were so desperate to own one that they were willing to wait several months and pay several thousand dollars over MSRP.
Guess Im lucky to have a dealer that thinks outside of the box. Its shows. They sell to folks from all over the country and have a shuttle to the Tulsa airport to pickup there custmers that fly in for purchases. I just flat out wont pay msrp or above for a car. That alone keeps me off Toyota lots.

If I thought cars where worth msrp, I would have bought a new Avalon

For dealers to sell hybrids at msrp is bad. Hard to get pople to think green when dealers find it a way to max profits on a sale. Ive lost count of the number of people Ive taked to that didnt buy a Toyota or a Honda hybrid or otherwise cause the Tulsa dealers screwed them around with msrp pricing, desposits and waiting list if not loto sytle events with the cars.

I see so many that want to be green get so screwed on pricing of geo-thermal systems, radient hydronic heating systems, solar systems and wind. Its a shame. When these people come to me with problems. Mostly hydronic I help cure the bad engineering they received and sell them pumps and controls at 40% off list.

Give a person a good deal from the start with value and service. You will have a custmer for life. Seems alot of car dealers miss this fact and stay with the salt barons way of business.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:18 AM

What does price have to do with the environment? You seem to think cheap deals are more environmentally friendly than MSRP. You do realize what "green" means, right? It does not mean "cheap". In fact it's alot more expensive to be environmentally friendly than to pollute and trash the environment, which is the sole reason industries resist environmental regulations.

If you want to drive a low-emissions vehicle, be prepared to pay for the privilege.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
What does price have to do with the environment? You seem to think cheap deals are more environmentally friendly than MSRP. You do realize what "green" means, right? It does not mean "cheap". In fact it's alot more expensive to be environmentally friendly than to pollute and trash the environment, which is the sole reason industries resist environmental regulations.

If you want to drive a low-emissions vehicle, be prepared to pay for the privilege.
I think he was stating that you can find the SAME vehicle for much cheaper if people look around. I'm having to say I actually agree with him on THIS only ,not on other things he's posted on other messages. I bought my HCH which by the way isn't really that green, for 17,200. in March of 04 why should I have paid sticker or over sticker for the same model elswhere.Being green doesn't mean you have to get ripped off! Kevin