2006 Civic Grid charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Civic Grid charger

i just acquired a 2006 Civic Hybrid (i know Steve your condolences to me and many other for owning of these awful cars ), i paid $1350 for the car that was sent to the junkyard cuz the previous owner didnt want to fix it, but the car does not have major issues.

replaced the under-performing-dead 151R with a Deka AGM 51R and the car starts and runs and drives fine. from a mechanical stand point, the car runs great (relatively spreaking) since the car only gets 33-35mpg on my commute to and from work since i drive around 70-75mph but i do know that the IMA is in need of my attention. the car performs recals all the time and i got the IMA light once and it cleared and hasnt came back.

no i saw all these different people building their own grid chargers. i want to do a very watered down basic charger to charge the pack out of the car for the first run them perhaps make one that i can use to plug into the car every oil change or two to top the battery off or even do an in-car grid charging session.

i was able to find some information on basic components to use but not a true wiring diagram that i can follow. i am a car enthusiast with plethora of mechanical knowledge but i lack the heavy electrical knowledge.

i saw a list of basic components posted a long time ago on Mouser but im unclear on the meanwell PSU.

i saw a basic setup posted under the HCHI that seemed super simple enough that anyone can make but not sure on the difference in PSU used on that vs the one that was posted under the mouser shopping cart.

here is the mouser shopping cart which includes both the APC-35-350 (x2) and the HCHI LPC-100-350 (x1) that is shown in the pic below.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=82ca6b9683

will this setup work on the HCHII as well? is there an active wiring diagram for a DIY grid charger for the HCHII? i read that a PWM was needed to run the IMA fan while charging in-car but the PWM is new to me so i need to understand how to implement it into the sytem which will be something i will look further into as i read more to educate myself on the Hybrid world of cars.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Grid charger

The 2X APC-35-350 are fine. Empty the cart of everything else.

You'll need a single diode in the (+) to prevent the battery from damaging the power supplies. This should work: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...ST230w1w%3D%3D

APC wired in series and connected to battery as follows:

Battery (+) ------|<diode<----(+)APC1(-)-----(+)APC2(-)--------(-) Battery

The "|" on the diode is the stripe.

Their inputs simply need to be in parallel to a 120VAC L & N source.

Remove battery from car and charge it as depicted in your attached picture. If you attempt to charge without properly driving the fan, or charging with the cover off, you will do more harm than good.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
The 2X APC-35-350 are fine. Empty the cart of everything else.

You'll need a single diode in the (+) to prevent the battery from damaging the power supplies. This should work: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...ST230w1w%3D%3D

APC wired in series and connected to battery as follows:

Battery (+) ------|<diode<----(+)APC1(-)-----(+)APC2(-)--------(-) Battery

The "|" on the diode is the stripe.

Their inputs simply need to be in parallel to a 120VAC L & N source.

Remove battery from car and charge it as depicted in your attached picture. If you attempt to charge without properly driving the fan, or charging with the cover off, you will do more harm than good.
seems very straightforward to me. i can handle a simple circuit like this.

i know you had previously highly recommended a discharge at least once a year and since this is my first time then i really should do it. i found few posts where you had laid out the process that you recommended so i will use one of those.

do does the fan really need a PWM to turn it on or is there any simpler way to run the fan so the battery can be charged in the car? i would be interested in converting this basic charger to an in-car unit down the road.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spdracr
seems very straightforward to me. i can handle a simple circuit like this.

i know you had previously highly recommended a discharge at least once a year and since this is my first time then i really should do it. i found few posts where you had laid out the process that you recommended so i will use one of those.

do does the fan really need a PWM to turn it on or is there any simpler way to run the fan so the battery can be charged in the car? i would be interested in converting this basic charger to an in-car unit down the road.
IIRC, if you short the blue wire to ground and power it with at least a 10A/12V power supply, that will force the fan to run full speed. It's like a leaf blower - loud and moves a lot of air. A PWM controller is a better solution. You don't need to run the fan full blast for 30 hours.

What's needed depends on the condition of the single worst cell in your pack. Here's something for starters:
  • With pack on bench and forced air that you can feel exiting the pack:
  • Charge for 25 hours.
  • Allow to sit for 60 minutes. Check and record the 11 tap voltages to XX.XX accuracy for this and all tap measurements.
  • Discharge to 90V w/2X 60W incandescent bulbs in series. Above 145V, you can use whatever wattage bulbs you want (discharge may take up to 16 hours). As the pack passes through about 132V, check & record the 11 tap voltages.
  • Charge for 25 hours
  • Discharge to 66V w/2X 60W incandescent bulbs in series. Above 132V, you can use whatever wattage bulbs you want (discharge may take up to 16 hours, but will take less time than discharge to 90V). As the pack passes through about 132V, check & record the 11 tap voltages.
  • Charge for 25 hours
  • Reinstall pack in car
  • 30+ minutes after charging is completed, check and record the 11 tap voltages.
  • Go for a light 10-15 minute drive with the cover off.
  • Check and record the 11 tap voltages.
  • Reinstall cover.
  • Drive normally for 1-2 weeks.
  • After sitting at least 12 hours, remove cover and check the 11 tap voltages.
11 taps:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...or%20Check.png

With plug installed, probe where the wires enter the connector.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

seems like a lengthy process and my gues is that you are trying to assess the health of the individual cells by performing this Tap Voltages?

i dont mind a little challenge. i will park the car and drive my TL while i perform this process over a weekend. i will have to pkan this ahead of time.

i will go ahead and order the diode you recommended with the meanwell power supplies. anything else i should add to my mouser cart?

edit: i noticed you did not include 12v reset charge in those instructions. is there a reason for omitting that part of the charging process?

2nd edit: i requested access to an old BOM that you had posted few years back on google drive. i would like to take a look at it and see what you had included to give me ideas on how i want to build this grid charger with an enclosure.

Last edited by Spdracr; 04-05-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spdracr
seems like a lengthy process and my gues is that you are trying to assess the health of the individual cells by performing this Tap Voltages?

i dont mind a little challenge. i will park the car and drive my TL while i perform this process over a weekend. i will have to pkan this ahead of time.

i will go ahead and order the diode you recommended with the meanwell power supplies. anything else i should add to my mouser cart?

edit: i noticed you did not include 12v reset charge in those instructions. is there a reason for omitting that part of the charging process?

2nd edit: i requested access to an old BOM that you had posted few years back on google drive. i would like to take a look at it and see what you had included to give me ideas on how i want to build this grid charger with an enclosure.
This thread looks very helpful. How did you make out. I tried following the directions but got lost on a couple of things such as "tap voltage". Where you checking voltage across two wire in the plug. I have and 04 civic and had the pack apart a couple of times so I am somewhat familiar with it. I was also a bit unsure where you placed the diode. I assume it was in line with the positive line to the battery pack.