2006 Aftermarket speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2006 Aftermarket speaker questions

The window sticker says that the 2006 HCH has 6 speakers.
Let me count them:
One in each door.
Two on the rear panel behind the rear seats.
That makes four
Where are the other two?

Are they on top of the dash at the left and right side right next to the windshield?

Also,
If I upgrade only the speakers what should I get?
I'm willing to spend about $300 on speakers not including labor.
It would be easy to change out the rear ones - they are accesable from the trunk.
It may be harder for me to change the door speakers - maybe I should hand the speakers to the dealer and have them do that.
And if there are two little speakers at the top of the dash I'd certainly need the dealer to rip apart the dash - that is if I could even find such small speakers.

Anyone done this?

Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Aftermarket speaker questions

Originally Posted by kenny
Are they on top of the dash at the left and right side right next to the windshield?
Yes, those are the tweeters.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just called a dealer.

They won't install any speakers that are not stock Honda parts.
(Their stock speakers sell for something like $10.)
There are ho high-end speakers they sell.

Plus if anyone goes into the dash it can void the warranty.

So I'm stuck with a low-quality sound system.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

I just called a dealer.

They won't install any speakers that are not stock Honda parts.
(Their stock speakers sell for something like $10.)
There are ho high-end speakers they sell.

Plus if anyone goes into the dash it can void the warranty.

So I'm stuck with a low-quality sound system.
Or maybe not...check out the BASS Boost system for the '06 here:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/civ...lectronics.htm

Old 01-10-2006, 12:40 PM

If you don't get the upgraded system from the dealer, you can always bring the car to a car audio shop. Chances are they may have to make spacers and stuff. Aftermarket speakers usualy require work.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

you can get tweeters to replace the front tweeters by the windshield. Maybe you can try another dealer in your area to see if they will do it and sign some paperwork to secure your warranty. You sound as though you are looking for something MORE than what the bass speaker upgrade will do. A component speaker set up would work well for the front ... meaning it gives you mid-range speakers for the doors (no highs) and high quality tweeters for the dash. the back would be up to you, the honda bass speaker system might work to pull the lower end from that speaker size. I have never known a pair of 6 1/2" speakers to be the best bass reproducers (or 8" for that matter), but may hit the sound level, quality, deepness you wish with the quieter ride in the HCH II, otherwise a subwoofer is the way to go. I am going to try to search the threads just to make sure no one has had any problems with the electrical system, charge, etc. from having an amp hooked up when I get a chance. I will only use a 200W but I have forgotten the amp draw ... so I don't know if it would hurt the system, and if I put a capacitor in between if it would help.

edit: i should have read the HCH stereo upgrade thread first, lots of info in there, but looks like you already checked that out

Last edited by bluesesshomaru17; 01-10-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Also,
If I upgrade only the speakers what should I get?
I'm willing to spend about $300 on speakers not including labor.
It would be easy to change out the rear ones - they are accesable from the trunk.
It may be harder for me to change the door speakers - maybe I should hand the speakers to the dealer and have them do that.
And if there are two little speakers at the top of the dash I'd certainly need the dealer to rip apart the dash - that is if I could even find such small speakers.

Anyone done this?
The rear speakers are very easy to change but you actually have to get to them from inside the car in the rear tray. The speaker covers over the speaker come off. Be very careful not to break the clips. There is two clips that have to pop and the other clips just slide under the sheet metal. I used a razor blade to get into the small crack to pop off the covers. Anything larger like a screw driver might damage the surrounding plastic. You'll see what I mean when you look at it. If you try to get to the speakers from the trunk you'd have to take apart the metal cover that runs the length of the trunk and it is extra unescessary work. As far as the front speakers, the doors are easy to take apart. There are a few screws and there will be clips behind the door panel that pop off. Honda and others make a tool that you can buy to pop them off but a flat tipped screw driver or a pop sickle stick will work. Be careful of the door handle and there are a few wire disconects that will have to be disconected once you pop the door panel off. The speakers on the dash will be a little harder, but you should be able to get to them from under the dash by taking off the panels from under the steering wheel and taking apart the glove box. Depeneding on how much sound you like the speakers on the dash should be sufficent just change the door and rear speakers. I am going on this from past experiences, I have only changed the rear speakers in the HCHII. A good quality set of speakers will $150 for a pair either front or rear. My suggestion is to go to a store and hear each speaker. I could recomend speakers but each sounds different and it has to be to your liking.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

What are the sizes of each of the speakers that come standard in the HCH?

Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallyworld
What are the sizes of each of the speakers that come standard in the HCH?
Just found the answer if anyone is interested:

"two tweeters on the dash, two 6.7-inch rounds in the front doors and two more 6.7-inch rounds in the rear deck"

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...5/pageId=67423