2003 HCH with suspected knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2003 HCH with suspected knock

Hello all,

For $500 this evening I purchased a 2003 HCH in non-running condition. I have attached the craigslist post. I revived the vehicle by jumpering the clutch position switch under the dashboard with a paperclip. Since then only the vehicle maintenance light remains lit, and the vehicle has been great getting me and from work tonight, however there seems to be some knocking. Also I believe the battery was completely dead and has not quite fully charge yet, so I haven't really seen the boost function.

I have several questions.

-Is there a negative aspect to leaving the clutch position switch jumpered?
-My hope is that the knocking sound is due to being filled with 87o e10 as confirmed by conversation with the previous owner. Does this sound reasonable? Is it worth seeking out fuel without ethanol or paying for higher octane?
-Are there other common causes of knocking in these engines, that I should investigate?
-Are there other good resources on the net that you fine experts may recommend?
-What attributes should I be monitoring while driving to assess the condition of the battery? I am planning on replacing it soon however the longer I can wait the better.

This is my first unkillable japanese crap-box car and I'm very excited to be going down this path. This forum seems like a great place with highly intelligent and helpful people, and I have already learned a great deal from your archives. Thanks in advance for your help.