100th Tank!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 100th Tank!

Hi all,
Just charted my 100th tankfull of gasoline on my '04 HCH MT.
Here's my stats and observations:
I'm currently at 57,000 miles. Bought new in April '04.
Still on original tires and brakes - only oil&filter changes (0W20) every 5,000 miles. Air and cabin filters every 25,000. I do ALL my own maintenance. My local dealer sucks. I don't think I'll do the "Product Update", unless it bears out on this board it's worth it.
Average (indicated) MPG = 48.0
Average actual MPG = 47.5
Best tankfull (actual) = 54.2
My average cruising speed is 73mph, 80% highway, 20% heavy traffic.
I do try to keep a steady speed(cruise control is the way to go!), but will pass idiots and semis whenever they're less than 65mph. (I'm NOT one of those 55mph, far right-lane driving, maximizing mpg drivers!! I believe they are a traffic hazard.)
I drive ~200 miles per day. I try to drive my motorcycles every other day(even thought they get LESS mpg!!)
The car has been mostly flawless mechanically. I have hit a deer - $2700 damage. I got rear-ended by a semi, which was surprisingly only $800 damage - gotta' love plastic bumpers!
I've done several cross-country trips with 4 persons in the car and luggage, with no problems. The battery does fully deplete in the mountains.
My battery guage usually reads over 3/4 full while cruising the highway.
I have put over 13 gallons in the fuel tank on several occasions.
The MPG takes a serious hit in the Winter - worst tank 39.2 MPG January when it's ~10F in N. Illinois. The car likes the HEAT for better mileage. The car doesn't like rain or snow driving.

'Bout it. Any questions?

I like my Civic Hybrid!

Old 07-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: 100th Tank!

100 tanks! Wow!
I like your summary. Kind of like a "State of The Hybrid" address.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:06 AM

CBX6TC6,
If you ever see an '03 civic hybrid going 55 on the highway thats me. Feel free to give me the finger. I'll take it as a sign of encouragment since my goal in life is to annoy others

Last edited by tbaleno; 07-25-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I always wondered if your signature had anything to do with motorcycles.

That CBX 6 -cylinder is a sweet sounding machine, love hearing it.

Thanks for the history of your Civic, good write-up.

Regards,

Old 07-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by cbxtc6
I do ALL my own maintenance. My local dealer sucks. I don't think I'll do the "Product Update", unless it bears out on this board it's worth it.
If you find out how to do this on you own please let me know. My local dealer is not the best either.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tbaleno:
Originally Posted by tbaleno
CBX6TC6, if you ever see an '03 civic hybrid going 55 on the highway that’s me. Feel free to give me the finger. I'll take it as a sign of encouragement since my goal in life is to annoy others
___Funniest post I have read all day

___CBX6TC6, nice overall results and I am glad you kept them up to date.

___And my dig … When it comes to a 73 mph average, do you really maintain a 73 mph average here in Northern IL. or do you travel at ~ that speed when you are out on the highway only? I am picturing you trying to come to a stop at 73 mph while driving into your garage. It might actually be a life changing experience on your part If you ever see my Accord out on the highway, I might be passing a gesture of my own your way for you to get out of my way? If not, I might be parked on your rear bumper tight enough to scare the living XXXX out of you until you move out of the way so I can pick a much nicer draft further up the road … Or you might blow by me while I am cresting my steepest crest at 46 mph over the DesPlaines river … Or you might catch me with ICE off at 60 mph coming into a traffic tie up Ύ of a mile ahead just after Lake Cook Road … Or you might … Not everyone drives 55 mph in the far right lanes but some of us pick and choose what technique works best to maximize a given automobiles strengths and to minimize its weaknesses through a particular traffic situation or road condition … I tend to think of these situations and conditions more like opportunities nowadays

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

But will pass idiots and semis whenever they're less than 65mph. (I'm NOT one of those 55mph, far right-lane driving, maximizing mpg drivers!! I believe they are a traffic hazard.)
The term you give idiot is subject to debate. You would not label a traffic hazard if you saw the video I made, very safe driving and the rearview is clearly seen.
Personally over the 10 years (500 Miles/Wk) I plan to drive this car I'll save over $2,500 in gas alone based on $2.20/G, 48vs 60MPG, let alone a much safer and calmer ride.

If you don't want to maximize what you already have available to you, or refine your driving habits for a much more pleasant trip that's entirely up to you and I'm not disrespecting people with that mindset. (Even though I don't quite understand it)

I only hope people would pass the same courtesy.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 07-25-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't mean the slow, right-lane driving hybrid people are idiots. I was referring to the soccer-mom SUV driving in the passing lane at 55mph, whilst talking on her cell phone...
; )

Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cbxtc6
(I'm NOT one of those 55mph, far right-lane driving, maximizing mpg drivers!! I believe they are a traffic hazard.)
Okay. I guess I misunderstood this

Old 07-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

the manual says to do oil changes at 10,000 miles, is there any benifeit to changing at 5000?

Quick Reply: 100th Tank!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands