06 hybrid nearing 100,000

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default 06 hybrid nearing 100,000

Hey guys, I haven't been on this board in a LONG time, so HI... Anyways, I have an 06 that I bought new and have always kept up with all maintenance (oil changes, air filters and tire rotations). I recently looked through the books that came with the car, but there is no schedule of major maintenance. I'm trying to find out what is going to be needed just so I can start to save and be prepared for it. Everywhere I've looked, all I can find is, "Just follow the maintenance reminders that the car will notify you of". Does anyone have any more insight on this?

Secondly, how dependable is this engine? I obviously bought this car when it first came out and due to it being a new model, there really were no reviews in regards to longevity. What have you guys been hearing / reading in regards to how many miles people are getting out of their car? Just curious since I still have 2 more years left till this thing is paid off...

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 hybrid nearing 100,000

Hi John;
I believe there are a couple items listed in the manual. After 3 yrs. change brake fluide and adjust valve around 100,000 miles. There may be others, but can not think off them at the moment. I think the engine is good for a couple more 100,000 trips! Are you pleased with your car and has it been trouble free? I have only 35,000 kilomiters on my 2006 and it has been trouble free.
Cheers, Hal

Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Hal. I've gotta say, I've been very pleased with the car. Im currently right at 92,000 miles and I have had no major maintenance needed yet (knock on wood). There are a few quirky things about the car that I have learned to live with. One for instance is on occasion, when I attempt to raise the volume on the radio through the steering wheel button, it will instead change the channel. But I've discovered that as long as I lower the volume once, then attempt to raise it, I have no problems. Little things like that I can easily live with...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 AM

John;
What type of tire are you running? Did you stick with the LRR type? Some members have changed the upper control arm due to negitive camber problem. I.E. tire wear and road noise. Has this been a problem with your 2006? Hal

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

I believe all Honda 4 cyl. engines require the timing belt and water pump to be replaced at 100,000.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM

I thought it had a timing chain? H

Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
John;
What type of tire are you running? Did you stick with the LRR type? Some members have changed the upper control arm due to negitive camber problem. I.E. tire wear and road noise. Has this been a problem with your 2006? Hal
Hmmmm, Negative Cambar does make sense now. I wasn't aware of that problem and apparently my dealership wasn't / isn't either. About 8 months ago I went in for an oil change and they discovered my rear tires were like this: Name:  tirewear.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  57.3 KB
I'm not exactly a "car guy" so to speak, so I was a little baffled about this. I asked the mechanic what would cause this when the front tires were not noticing this sort of ware. Or, how this could happen in 1 months time. I say 1 month because either it wasn't like that during my last oil change (due to the amount of miles I put on my car back then, I was having my oil changed close to once a month), or it was, and my dealership completely missed it and never noticed it. Eitherway, they had no answers for me as to why this would or could happen. Now I pay additional to have my tires rotated at EVERY oil change.... But to be honest, even when my tires were wearing like that, I never experienced any additional road noise...

Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larryr
I believe all Honda 4 cyl. engines require the timing belt and water pump to be replaced at 100,000.
This was the type of info I was looking for. Major maintenance... Are we sure of this though?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:11 PM

The 2006 Civic, at least the hybrid, does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain. I can look it up tonight (in Service Manual), but I don't believe there is a change interval. And the water pump change is just for preventative maintenance, if you have it opened up to get at the belt it's just a good time to change the pump as well.

I would just follow the maintenance minder and the the few time specific items noted in the owners manual, Harolds mention of brake fluid change every three years, for instance.

I jumped the gun and did my own valve clearance check, well ahead of the likely Maint. Minder interval, just my preference.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 PM

John,. Take it in along with the picture and maybe Honda will cover it Hal

Quick Reply: 06 hybrid nearing 100,000

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands