06 HCH shows 61.1 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default 06 HCH shows 61.1 mpg

My Alabaster Silver, Non-Nav, HCH finally arrived Tuesday, 11/22/05!!!

Picked it up Tuesday night, put a few miles on it. Went to work on Wednesday, 100+ miles each way. When I got home the mpg read 61.1!!! Whoa!! Can hardly wait till it gets broken in!

The question always asked:

My first impressions are

The car really looks cool!
When closing the door it seems kind of flimsy. The tinny kind of close, not the solid close I prefer to hear.
The stereo sounds good. My 14 yr old loves it.
Road noise is a bit loud. Probably the FE tires. (Not a problem)
Seats are very comfortable!

Overall the car is very nice!

My trip to work is 4/10 Interstate, 4/10 County Road and 2/10 City. A pretty good mix.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 HCH shows 61.1 mpg

Originally Posted by Jeffey
Picked it up Tuesday night, put a few miles on it. Went to work on Wednesday, 100+ miles each way. When I got home the mpg read 61.1!!! Whoa!! Can hardly wait till it gets broken in!
Wow, that's great! How fast do you drive? Do you use cruise control? Is this your first hybrid? Is you commute hilly? Also, have you noticed whether the average mileage number still fluctuates (+/- 5) with 200+ miles on the trip? Congrats and enjoy!

Last edited by NASAgineer; 11-24-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:28 AM
04 prius 350,000km

**** tries, i really hate road noise, anyone besides me thinks slient tires are worth the 5 mpg tradeoff?

Old 11-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Pretty much stay at the speed limit. Only use cruise on flat road. The county road part is a little hilly. I try to let others in a hurry go by so I can gain speed going down, lose speed going up, maintain rpm's and keep the mpg meter up as much as possible.

This is my first Hybrid, however I have been reading and using the techniques learned here since I had my hybrid on order, early Sept. By using what I learned I have upped mileage in my Colorado from 21 to 23.5+ mpg, so, THANKS TO ALL!!!

I read a post while at work, during lunch , about, is it better to ease up to speed or use assist and coast. I started accelerating pretty briskly to speed, using as much assist as possible (I now play a game – Keep mpg meter up or Keep assist meter up.) Of course, one day isn’t enough to really tell, but I think the assist is MPG FREE power. And I believe it really helped.

And I did notice a little fluctuation. Probably not 5 mpg, but maybe 1-2. I will keep an eye on this to see what happen and keep you updated.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You feel the door closing is not very solid.
You feel there is too much road noice.

What are the cars you had in the past?

Old 11-24-2005, 04:05 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: 06 HCH shows 61.1 mpg

Hi Jeff Congrats on your new HCH ll and your color choice.I have the same color ordered for mine. So what do you think of the Two-Tone Blue Interior? Don't suppose you would do some Pics. of your new ride? Inside/Out?

Regards;

Terry

Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi Jeff Congrats on your new HCH ll and your color choice.I have the same color ordered for mine. So what do you think of the Two-Tone Blue Interior? Don't suppose you would do some Pics. of your new ride? Inside/Out?

Regards;

Terry
Here ya go:

Didn't think to get any interior shots. The interior looks great. My wife even commented on how it looks.
I will post some interior shots this weekend.

Last edited by Jeffey; 11-24-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
You feel the door closing is not very solid.
You feel there is too much road noice.

What are the cars you had in the past?
As you can see from the photo below, we have an 05 Colorado Z-71, also a 96 Chevy S-10 and a 93 Cherokee. (The Cherokee is now for sale)
BUT, overall I am very happy with the HCH. I bought it for the mileage and by the early indications I should be VERY pleased with my choice.

BTW, It was a hassle getting the car, as I think everyone that has had one on order has experienced because of the lack of information to the dealers and ultimately to the customers on the shipping hold up. My salesman convinced me not to buy an 05 and wait for the 06, and I am very glad I waited, even thought it was nearly 3 months.