Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Survey shows 55% consider buying alt fuel vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:32 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Survey shows 55% consider buying alt fuel vehicles

Link to Survey

A new survey by the National Alternative Fuels Training Consortium here says nine in 10 Americans agree that developing alternative fuel sources is very important — and a majority said they would be willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Fifty-five percent of those surveyed said they will consider an alternative-fuel/advanced-technology vehicle the next time they shop for a new car or truck.

Asked what technologies they expected to be the most likely alternative to gas-powered vehicles in the next 20 years, 27 percent said hybrid-electric vehicles and 22 percent said hydrogen and fuel-cell vehicles.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Survey shows 55% consider buying alt fuel vehicles

"Respondents say they would be willing to pay more for alt-fuel and advanced-tech vehicles if they provide a clear benefit."

"Clear benefit" leaves a little wiggle room. It also means that 45% wouldn't consider hybrids at all.

I'd consider a hybrid pickup but nobody wants to offer one up.

Last edited by worthywads; 10-15-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I notice a rising number of gas stations around here selling E85- is there a corresponding increase in other parts of the country? There's one near my office, and I just noticed a second one in my (fairly small) hometown. E85 is running about 30 cents cheaper than gas, which puts it right under $2 for the moment. I have done very little research into flex-fuel vehicles, so I don't know if that's a reasonable price or would 'provide a clear benefit' as all those people apparently want it to, but it seems like a fuel savings to me. Unless there's something I don't know, like you have to burn a lot more of it to power a car, or something?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

All stations in the Dallas/Ft Worth 10 county EPA Zone sell E10. There are no
E85 stations yet that I know of. And yes, you do have to burn slightly more to get the same energy output, so MPG will drop slightly as well. There are other threads that go into great detail about that , and the pros and cons from economic, scientific, and political points of view.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

abowles: So I assumed- I just wanted to point out that there are more of those stations around here recently. That trend supports the conclusions of this survey.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have never seen an E85 gas station and no one I know around here has either. My husband used to drive a lot for his previous job (up until recently) and he drove NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA and never seen one either. Maybe it is regional.