06 HCH regen - odd behavior

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default 06 HCH regen - odd behavior

I've noticed something odd with the 06 regenerative brakes when stopping.

This has happened to me three times, in three different locations.

What is happening is that the regen kicks out after a minimum speed is reached, and then kicks in for a split second again, and then finally kicks out, causing me to lurch back and forth.

The steps go as so:

1) Moderate braking + Regen 100%
2) Regen diminishes and kicks out after a minimum speed
3) Regen kicks in 2 bars for a split second
4) Regen quickly kicks out again
5) Auto-stop engages
6) Brakes alone bring car to complete stop.

This doesn't happen all the time, but I suspect it has to do with the algorithms controlling the amount of regeneration. I am braking with constant pressure, but I think the computer gets confused and tries to apply more regen right before I stop, then it hits the limiting condition that regen cannot be applied below a certain minimum speed, so it kicks out the regen again.

Whatever the case, I want to know if anybody else experiences this kind of "regen lurching" when coming to a stop in an 06 HCH, or your thoughts as to why it happens and how to stop it from happening. Thanks so much!

Old 12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 HCH regen - odd behavior

Sometimes my '04 will do that, but in my case it's operator error.
That is,
Often times I'll attempt to slow down using only the Regen but not depress the pedal so far as to engage the brake shoes.
I'm in effect riding the edge of the brake switch, keeping regen ON.

Sometimes I'll (Not knowingly) back my brake off and loose the regen activation for a moment- then my foot "bounces" back on it, turning it back on.

When it comes back on I'll be traveling at a much slower speed than before so it comes on with only 4 bars CHG.

Does that make sense?
I'm not sure if your case is simialr or not.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM

makes sense to me, i have an 04 as well, and i know what you're talking about, but what i'm referring to on my 06 is under constant, steady braking, not riding the edge of braking.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
I've noticed something odd with the 06 regenerative brakes when stopping.

This has happened to me three times, in three different locations.

What is happening is that the regen kicks out after a minimum speed is reached, and then kicks in for a split second again, and then finally kicks out, causing me to lurch back and forth.

The steps go as so:

1) Moderate braking + Regen 100%
2) Regen diminishes and kicks out after a minimum speed
3) Regen kicks in 2 bars for a split second
4) Regen quickly kicks out again
5) Auto-stop engages
6) Brakes alone bring car to complete stop.

This doesn't happen all the time, but I suspect it has to do with the algorithms controlling the amount of regeneration. I am braking with constant pressure, but I think the computer gets confused and tries to apply more regen right before I stop, then it hits the limiting condition that regen cannot be applied below a certain minimum speed, so it kicks out the regen again.

Whatever the case, I want to know if anybody else experiences this kind of "regen lurching" when coming to a stop in an 06 HCH, or your thoughts as to why it happens and how to stop it from happening. Thanks so much!
Here's a theory. Keep in mind that I don't own a HCH, so take it for what it's worth.

As you decelerate you're using regen to assist in braking. Then you reach a speed at which not enough electricity can be generated to make regen worthwhile, so it shuts off. Then you slow down further, reaching the point of ICE auto stop. Before shutting off the ICE, the electric motor is re-engaged so that you won't be coasting in neutral. At that moment you get a bit of regen. The ICE is shut off after a couple of seconds, at which point you've lost your source of regen energy - no more regen.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM

hmm that could make sense, but it is quite annoying

back-forward-back-back-jiggle

it only happens sometimes though - not all the time. usually it smoothly transitions from regen to no regen, then auto-stop and stop.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 PM

Sounds like a minor bug that Honda should be made aware of so that it can be rolled into the first ECU patch.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by Schwa
Sounds like a minor bug that Honda should be made aware of so that it can be rolled into the first ECU patch.
I agree Erick - get it logged with Honda. If they see a pattern, then they will know it is an issue and address it. They canot fix something they do not know about