06 HCH EV Mode for Two Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 HCH EV Mode for Two Miles

Originally Posted by ElanC
I think the problem with going more than 10 MPH slower than the traffic flow isn't only that people get pissed off. When you do it in heavy traffic you're creating a little traffic jam behind you. You're causing a lot of people to hit their brakes, change lanes, accelerate back again. Basically, your improved FE is coming at the expense of lost FE for many other people.
I like to think of this as setting better traffic control that reduces "Spring" effect. On 85, I noticed if I kept reasonable distance from car infront of me - 1 car length for every 10 miles - I can "almost" go my entire commute without stopping. So, I am saving gas for me and some people behind me.

That one person who changes lanes often will do it even if I was going 80
(I should know since I was that guy with 200HP car that got 20 on Freeway before HCH).

Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casper49
I like to think of this as setting better traffic control that reduces "Spring" effect. On 85, I noticed if I kept reasonable distance from car infront of me - 1 car length for every 10 miles - I can "almost" go my entire commute without stopping. So, I am saving gas for me and some people behind me.
Yes, if you maintain the same average speed as the car in front of you that's true. As long as you don't mind too much when people cut in front of you because you leave such a large gap.

I'm talking about driving 55 when everyone else is going 70. If no one passes you there will be a mile long gap between you and the car in front by the time you get to 101. That won't happen. Instead, the guy behind you will change lanes, pass you, and resume his 70 MPH speed. Then the next car behind you will come up, slow down behind you, wait for a chance to change lane, pass you, and so on.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

elanc, this is true. you bring up a good point, and i'll keep this in mind. if there gets to be a lot of cars doing this, i'll speed up because the overall fuel mpg i'm saving is offset by the others who are slowing down and accelerating like crazy to pass meq

Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 PM
04 prius 350,000km

I think the problem with going more than 10 MPH slower than the traffic flow isn't only that people get pissed off. When you do it in heavy traffic you're creating a little traffic jam behind you. You're causing a lot of people to hit their brakes, change lanes, accelerate back again. Basically, your improved FE is coming at the expense of lost FE for many other people.

then people should learn not to tailgate me more often. You'd be suprirsed how many stupid retards still race to a red light while I cruise in 2nd hoping the light would turn green. People would pass me and give me a mean look then stop at a red light..... one day i swear when people pass like that and give me that look i should just stick a middle finger poster on my left window.

I'm glad I'm pissing off people, man you dumb ***** (not the greenhybrid community, just impatient bums) just don't understand how wasteful you are. If your avrage communite is 15 to 20 km it makes no difference to cruise at 60 km as opposed to 70km, the distance isn't long enough to make up the few seconds of saved time for the insane amount of gas you just used. Maybe if your distance was longer (100 km communte?) then going 120km instead of 100km might make a difference but if your just going to work DOES 5 MIN EARLIER SOUNDS GOOD FOR THE INSANE AMOUNT OF GAS YOU USED? you could have even make your tank last twice as long if you just learn to drive a little better.

Good you fools, pass me its your loss i'l lbe happily see your faces mad at me I'll continue to **** you of even more when I get my hybrid.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:10 PM

If you approach a light really slowly when you're still a good distance away, people will think you always drive like that and aren't just slowing to the light. I remember seeing a Prius do a ridiculously slow crawl to a light when it was over a block away and that certainly got people impatient, and no wonder.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by philmcneal
then people should ....
Sheesh. I'm glad we don't live in the same county.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 AM

Hi ElanC:
Sheesh. I'm glad we don't live in the same county.
___Doesn’t your RAV4 EV have a 0 - 60 time of between 15 and 18 seconds when new? Besides what its worth when climbing hills and after a few years, maybe some are glad they don’t live near a RAV4 EV owner? I personally wouldn’t have a problem with that acceleration rate as I could pass when I needed too but having the slowest vehicle on the road may tick someone off when pulling away from the light in many instances …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-16-2005, 06:53 AM

Albuquerque does not have the urban congestion many people have to deal with in their towns in deciding how much to adapt to local driving patterns. But still, since I drive slower that most at least some of the time, I just try to be considerate. I avoid being the first car in line at a stop light, and stop a good 1 - 2 car lengths behind the next car. That way I can start moving when the light turns green before the car in from of me, and keep up without stomping on the gas. I always drive in the far right lane, and drive slowly only if their is a passing lane or move to the shoulder far in advance to let speeding cars pass me on a one-lane country road I often travel.

Once in a while people cut in front of me as I coast up to a red light. No worries.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi ElanC:
___Doesn’t your RAV4 EV have a 0 - 60 time of between 15 and 18 seconds when new? Besides what its worth when climbing hills and after a few years, maybe some are glad they don’t live near a RAV4 EV owner? I personally wouldn’t have a problem with that acceleration rate as I could pass when I needed too but having the slowest vehicle on the road may tick someone off when pulling away from the light in many instances …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
Well, Wayne, it seems that you have the same misconceptions about the EV that many others have about hybrids. With your hypermiling proclivities, do you ever accelerate any faster than 0-60 in 15 seconds???

Seriously, the EV has all the pep I need. I'm a moderate driver. I don't burn rubber. It accelerates as well as any other car I've driven - not any slower than I want it to accelerate. And I never have people climbing over me from behind. The acceleration from a stop is actually quite good, especially in the first 100 feet or so. It tackles steep hills well too. I have an 800 foot climb from the freeway to my house, with 20% sections, and it does very well. Top freeway speed is about 75. I have no complaints.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:15 AM

Hi ElanC:

___As I said earlier, I don’t mind at how you would accelerate as I can pass or hang in behind. I replied because you may be causing a similar situation to those around you with that slow an acceleration at every light or sign due to your automobiles capabilities? Sorry if I misinterpreted your reply to Philmcneal but it appeared as if you were lambasting him for hypermiling and possibly holding back those driving around him when you are possibly doing the same?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: 06 HCH EV Mode for Two Miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands