06 HCH, 75K miles- no maint/ service

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 06 HCH, 75K miles- no maint/ service

I just acquired a 2006 Civic Hybrid with 75,000 miles.

The car is beat and filthy. There are no stamps in the service record. The tires appear original. My hunch is the PO traded it at the end of warranty and never opened the hood.

The car runs great. Seems to get great mileage (even with crappy tires) THe systems all seem to work as advertised.

Assuming nothing else was done, what service should I have done or do myself?

Thanks

Dave

Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 HCH, 75K miles- no maint/ service

Originally Posted by hertfordnc
I just acquired a 2006 Civic Hybrid with 75,000 miles.

The car is beat and filthy. There are no stamps in the service record. The tires appear original. My hunch is the PO traded it at the end of warranty and never opened the hood.

The car runs great. Seems to get great mileage (even with crappy tires) THe systems all seem to work as advertised.

Assuming nothing else was done, what service should I have done or do myself?

Thanks

Dave
Well I would recommend NOT updating the cars software for any reason - and putting it in writing every time you take it in for service.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 HCH, 75K miles- no maint/ service

Have a look at the engine and transmission dipsticks, checking level/condition.

Check the brake fluid level/condition in the reservoir. Check brake pad thickness, inspect brake rotors. Listen to the brakes when applying: do they sound even, or pulse.

Inspect the engine filter (most important), and passenger compartment ventilation filter (secondary import).

Check tread depth on the "crappy tires". Also look for uneven wear.

Have a look at the 12 volt battery: do the terminals look relatively clean, get it's voltage checked. The original typically has an indicator window, and "genuine Honda" replacements do not, at least that's our experience.

Give it a thorough wash. Check out the wheel wells, pull anything plastic you can manage, mudflaps, etc., looking for crud/mud. Check drains at bottom of doors are clear. Maybe lube hinges. Touch up any chips, dings. Then deal with the interior.

I suspect if you open the majority of Owners Manuals they will look pristine: my service department never volounteered to fill it out. Just because the car looks run-down doesn't prove anything. If it is behaving normally that is testament to something. What's the Maintenance Minder showing, for oil life remaining: some percentage, or zero? Is the wrench symbol on?

Where did you acquire it? From a dealership or private party? Can you find out where it was serviced, get any receipts?

Getting the software updated is your call. We got ours done, it's not made any big changes, I believe it's a net plus, so far.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 09-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.