'06 HCH - 2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '06 HCH - 2 Questions

Originally Posted by Donald
Terry,
Thanks for the url. It appears that Honda designed the interior lights to work with the headlight switch. I would have preferred for these new lights to come on and off with the dome light.
Regards,
Boy, that would have a made a lot more sense. Wouldn't it be annoying to have that light on when you're driving at night?

Old 02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

KF6PUD in SoCal

Mostly 2-meter

Old 02-04-2006, 03:32 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: '06 HCH - 2 Questions

Bob (N5KF),
Thanks for the reply. The FT8800 is a Yaesu isn't it? I looked at it in the AES Catalogue. Our local hospital (RACES Coordinator) uses the Kenwood 700A, so I went with it. I believe the current draw on mine is 11.5 amps, could be why they recommend a direct hook-up to the btty. I do have a split rig, so I may do the same thing to mount it.
I just want to make sure I don't have warrenty problems. So far, Honda Customer Care has not called me back.

Don (KC2NDC)

Originally Posted by 06 HCH in Georgetown TX
Wonder how many Ham Radio Operators we have on here?

I used the 12V outlet under the AM/FM radio to power the dual band FT8800. It draws 8 amps, outlet is rated for 10 amps. Works fine, no noise at all. I was thinking of going to the battery...but did not want the extra work if I did not have to. Was concerned about noise from the car (engine or other) but its very quiet.

As to mounting the radio, assuming that it will split, I have the display just in front of the shifter (small resesed are before the drink holder area) and the radio itself under the seat. For a good ground, I have it anchored to an thick (1/8") aluminum strip that bolts to one of the seat bolts. Very secure and excellent ground. More than happy to send anybody pictures of the set up. I have an external speaker on the far side of the shifter. Antenna is just a mag mount on the roof.

73, N5KF

Old 08-09-2006, 03:19 AM
Enthusiast

Just got my 06 Honda Civic on 8/5/06 and thinking were to install my Kenwood D700. My call letter are KG4RGN, Williamsburg VA. I have the NAV and was not sure about interference between the transceiver and the NAV. I might just carry a HT aound until I talk to others about installation in the truck. It will be a lot of work to run the power cable to the trunk and then the control cables back to the driver's side.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

Larry,

I really wouldn't put it in the trunk, as it gets very hot there...and stays that way. Under the driver or passenger seat should work out just fine. I don't think there will be an issue with the transceiver and the Navi. I don't have it, so I can't say for sure. I have pictures if you are interested in my setup, which works very good.

You may have issues with the HT if you use the rubber duckie antenna inside the car. A external mounted antenna will work a lot better. Again, I havn't had any issues with the HT inside the car, but I think that would be worse than an antenna on the roof.

Let me know if you would like to see the current setup I have.

N5KF
Bob, Georgetown, TX